Moderator Control Panel ]

Bastardy bonds Birmingham Warwickshire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Bastardy bonds Birmingham Warwickshire

Postby mjcosj » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:55 am

Does anyone have easy access please to these records. I am unable to travel because of spinal surgery earlier this weekFanny Such

Matilda Such gave birth to Barbara who is Christened 20.6.1842 at St Martins Parish Church Birmingham. No Father .
Matilda gives birth to Fanny Such (1.4.1844) Christened at St Georges Church Edgbaston, Birmingham. No father
Matilda has a third daughter born 19th January 1849. b. cert says daughter of William Williams S (he listed as a traveler) the address on the birth certificate home address 46 Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham.
The Christening on 7/2/1849 a private ceremony at St Martins Church. The Mother is Matilda and the father is William, surnamed Such. Williams a commercial traveller, home address is Gt Charles St Birmingham.
1841 show the three children together in Aston Birmingham being cared for by the Middleton’s (as nurse children). They all have the surname WILLIAMS.
I am unable to find Matilda in the 1841 census and wonder where she is.
I don’t think that there was a marriage with a Williams. Ironically the registrars name was William Williams.Later Matilda senior lists herself as a "widow" which I understand was a common ploy
1851 Census Matilda is back home with dad etc.
Matilda and the three girls all appear in Wolverhampton in 1861. She is now listed as a widow and called Matilda SIMPSON, the girls are all surnamed Simpson. I cannot find a wedding.
I am wondering if there are any Bastardy bonds in place for these children
Are there any online records that I can view (are there any records at all?)
Thank you for your help.
mjcosj
mjcosj

Re: Bastardy bonds Birmingham Warwickshire

Postby junkers » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:52 pm

Try the Worcestershire archives and Birmingham archives website, although the records may not be online, the catalogues may be.
junkers

Postby peter kent » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:53 am

Best to read the book "My Ancestor was a Bastard". Key records would be Board of Guardians and petty sessions. This was not a parish responsibility under the New Poor Law. You may want to read up on the poor laws,

The Christening on 7/2/1849 a private ceremony at St Martins Church.

I don't think so. Private baptisms were conducted at home - not at the church - by a lay person if the child was sickly and not expected to live. Check the register for a later entry showing the child being received into the church.
peter kent

Postby mjcosj » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:48 pm

Its sad that people have to parade their rudeness. We are all learning.
mjcosj

Postby tessacate » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:22 am

Hi mjcosj

Warwickshire looks to have an extensive an online Parish Chest website (free) which is where I would start if you haven't already. See:

http://www.hunimex.com/warwick/opc/opc.html

There are several options that could record information and transactions regarding possible bastardy matters for your ancestor (in addition to Barstardy bonds) and I think the following website lists and describes them quite well and is an easy read:

https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/basta ... r-law/140/

Hopefully this online research will help pass the time during your recovery.

Regards
Tessacate
tessacate

Postby mjcosj » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:35 am

Hi Tessacate
Thank you for you invaluable help. I have been struggling to narrow down the actual source of information. Not being mobile I can't visit B-ham or anywhere else for that matter.
Great help! Thank you.
Mjcosj
mjcosj

Return to General research queries