Moderator Control Panel ]

Newspapers.com request

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Newspapers.com request

Postby MoVidger » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:01 pm

Do any forum members have a subscription to Newspapers.com ? I do not.

I see they have just released a records set for the Philadelphia Inquirer. Apparently, the "Basic" sub allows for searches up to 1922; whereas the "Publisher Extra" sub allows for post-1922 searches.

I have two chaps which I'd like to search (circa 1900-1930), as they both served time in Philadelphia prisons. I'm trying to learn the nature of their crimes. One chap was born in the UK, and the other had British parents.

It appears FMP newspaper records do not contain the Philadelphia Inquirer. Also, I don't want to sign up for a "free trial subscription" to Newspapers.com, etc.

Cheers, Mo
P.S. My PM facility doesn't seem to be working at the moment.
MoVidger

Re: Newspapers.com request

Postby MoVidger » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:35 pm

Well, I bit the bullet and paid for the 6 month subscription (receiving a discount through my Ancestry membership). It will come in very handy for the American side of my family tree(s).

Turns out the UK-born chap was charged with "forcing" his teenage sons into delivering bootleg liquor during the 1920s. The judge ordered both sons removed from the family. This explains a lot because I could never find either lad in the 1930 census.

Several years before that, the father had been charged with operating a bootleg liquor still in the cellar of a warehouse he leased. No idea yet if he served time for that.
MoVidger

Return to General research queries