Moderator Control Panel ]

Home Guard

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Home Guard

Postby DREmery » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:08 pm

Dad - Frank Emery - Home Guard Uniform.jpg
Dad - Frank Emery - Home Guard Uniform.jpg (112.25 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
The picture is of my father, in his (presumably) Home Guard uniform. I would be pleased if the lettering on his sleeve and shoulder can be identified. Although I knew he was in the Home Guard based in our home town of Eccles, Manchester, we didn't talk about it much, although I remember him telling me he used to put fires out, and that he found a car down a bomb crater with its headlights still on and a box of unbroken eggs inside! I've tried to find information on the internet, but haven't found any reference to any Home Guard local records. Any help regarding his uniform and Home Guards records would be appreciated.
DREmery

Re: Home Guard

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Home Guard personnel records are, like all WW2 stuff, still with the MoD. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records#how-to-apply-for-home-guard-service-records is the link to apply for the stuff but take note of the warning that:

Information contained within the Home Guard records is very limited. With a few exceptions it normally consists of one double sided A4 sheet of paper (Army Form W3066) containing personal details on enlistment and very little else. No details are held of the duties performed by an individual during his service.

I thought that I couldn't help much on the shoulder patch - if I use Google for "Home Guard shoulder patch", I just get people selling the things!

My best guess is that it reads "LF 42" - the LF is a deduction (it looks more like IF) based on you saying Manchester. Home Guard units were affiliated to regiments in the Regular Army and therefore I am guessing that those in the Manchester area were affiliated to the Lancashire Fusiliers. And indeed Google locates a thread referring to "Salford Home Guard - 43rd Lancashire Fusiliers". While it would be a great leap of faith to suggest that there was a "??? Home Guard - 42nd Lancashire Fusiliers", it doesn't take much to Google "home guard" "42nd lancashire fusiliers" and that found just one reference: http://www.mindenmilitaria.com/viewphoto.php?shoph=53680&phqu=2. That shop certainly believes an identical patch is for the 42nd Lancashire Fusiliers Home Guard.

And finally I got to http://salfordwarmemorials.proboards.com/thread/1627 - the answer is that the 42nd Lancashire HG was the 42nd Lancashire (Eccles) Battalion!!!
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby DREmery » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:26 pm

Thanks very much for all your work and reply. Quite a lot to look at. A great help. I have the Salford War Memorials web site already in my favourites, but had been using it for other purposes.

David
DREmery

Postby g w aldous » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:26 am

One other bit is he is a 2nd lieutenant.
g w aldous

Postby DREmery » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:30 pm

g w aldous wrote:One other bit is he is a 2nd lieutenant.

Thanks for this extra piece of information. I may be missing something, but how can you tell he's a 2nd lieutenant?
David
DREmery

Postby Thos. S. » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:45 pm

DREmery wrote:
g w aldous wrote:One other bit is he is a 2nd lieutenant.

Thanks for this extra piece of information. I may be missing something, but how can you tell he's a 2nd lieutenant?
David

Because of the single badge (I don't know the correct name) on his shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Thos. S.

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:04 pm

I think that they are often known as a "pip" - theoretically it's a star but from any distance it looks like a sort of diamond. No doubt that there is an official name!

British Army badges of rank for officers had moved from the cuff to the shoulder strap during WW1.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby DREmery » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Thanks to all three of you for your help. Glad I posted. I've learned a lot in a couple of days!
DREmery

Postby junkers » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:30 pm

[quote="AdrianB38"]Home Guard personnel records are, like all WW2 stuff, still with the MoD.

This is incorrect as the Home Guard records for Durham are held by The National Archives.
junkers

Postby plf99 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:23 am

My great grandfather was a bugler in the Eccles Home Guard, they were attached to the 43rd Battalion.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
plf99

Next

Return to Military help