Moderator Control Panel ]

Subscription increase of 73% !!

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Postby GrahamWP » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:26 pm

I have just had a letter from “Immediate Media” saying my subscription is going up to £31.50 for 6 issues and “is still good value” they did not mention it was £17.95 that’s over 73% !!

Your new subscription is £20.45 for 6 issues with the RRP of £31.50, whats going on, I think it’s time to quit. :x
GrahamWP

Re: Subscription increase of 73% !!

Postby crf38 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:45 pm

I am exactly the same. Received a letter today increasing subscription from £19.45 to £31.50. As my next payment is only on the 3rd November, I will be cancelling in the next few days unless this is dramatically changed!!
crf38

Postby GrahamWP » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:11 pm

Worth ringing as I just rang to cancel and surprise surprise they offered me a new subscription ( had to cancel the other one ) for £17.30 :P less than I paid before, very underhand just like car insurance renewals. If I didn’t enjoy the magazine so much I would have cancelled. Who is behind this they said it was the Publisher ?
GrahamWP

Postby coopernicola » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:19 am

My letter has my sub going from £8.90 to £15.75 for three issues. I'll be calling them today!
Nicola
coopernicola

Postby g w aldous » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:22 am

I think it has something to do with the hand delivery stopping and the return to royal mail delivery.
I have sent a cancellation message and await a reply, Its a shame but I will not pay that for any magazine.
g w aldous

Postby coopernicola » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:01 pm

If you go to buysubscriptions.com the offer is £17.30 for 6 issues, by Direct Debit, or £37.50 for 13 issues by credit card. I called Immediate Media and as there is no code on the website (which is theirs!) they cannot renew by phone. They advised me to cancel my current direct debit, then take up one of the offers on the website!!! It's very frustrating but that's the route I'm taking.
coopernicola

Postby crf38 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:40 pm

I've just had a very interesting experience. I rang to cancel my subscription, explaining that I was not happy with a 61% increase. My DD was cancelled and I was asked whether she could do anything else for me. "Aren't you going to offer me a subscription for £17.30?" I asked. She went away for advice and came back to tell me that the offer had ended. "That's funny" I said, "other people were being offered it only yesterday". She spoke with her supervisor again. Upshot is that, as a one-off, I have been given a rate of £17.30 but they would not be able to give it to anyone else!!
As a result, my subscription has gone down from £19.45 to £17.30. Very dubious marketing though!!
Needless to say, I turned down the offer of the Radio Times for £1.
crf38

Postby AntonyM » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 am

I had the same letter , so rang and cancelled.

I've just taken out a new sub via the buysubscriptions.com site at a cheaper price than before (as recommended on a previous post).
Last edited by AntonyM on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
AntonyM

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:11 am

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Our editor (Sarah), is on annual leave this week, but I’ve spoken to our publishers and unfortunately the price increase is correct.

We usually offer an introductory price in order to encourage readers to subscribe to the magazine, which some of you would have been benefiting from since you first set up your subscription.

However, there have recently been significant changes in the cost of paper, printing and postage, meaning that we have sadly had to reflect these costs with a price increase.

Although we aim to protect subscribers from price increases and reward their loyalty (which we are always really, really grateful for), unfortunately keeping it at the current rate is not economical for us in the long term.

Once again, I'm very sorry about this. Please do not hesitate to send me an email or contact me on here if you have any further questions.

Best wishes,
Jon
Jon Bauckham

Postby coopernicola » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:55 pm

Please note crf38, I cancelled my DD by phone, then used the offer on the website.
Nicola
coopernicola

Next

Return to Magazine chat