Moderator Control Panel ]

Subscription increase of 73% !!

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Re: Subscription increase of 73% !!

Postby twoptree » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:00 pm

I have been a reader of the magazine since it started. When I spotted the increased DD, I called to ask why. I was told that I should have had a letter, I didn't. I was told I could have a refund if I waited two weeks. I was not offered any alternative other than the full price of £31.50. I am now left rejected by the magazine I have supported for so long. This is as bad as it gets, Woolworth's springs to mind!
twoptree

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:23 pm

What people aren't making clear to me is how long their subscription period is for. Mine actually appears to be a 12m subs - or it was - but I *think* the figures quoted seem to be for a 6m subscription. If that's right, then basically the subscription price gives virtually no benefit when compared with the shelf price. Am I right?

In which case, I might as well drop the subscription when mine approaches renewal and buy it when I see an interesting article in Smith's. Hardly seems sensible economics on the publisher's part to have zero incentive for a subscription.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Editor » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:12 pm

twoptree wrote:I have been a reader of the magazine since it started. When I spotted the increased DD, I called to ask why. I was told that I should have had a letter, I didn't. I was told I could have a refund if I waited two weeks. I was not offered any alternative other than the full price of £31.50. I am now left rejected by the magazine I have supported for so long. This is as bad as it gets, Woolworth's springs to mind!

I'm really sorry that you didn't receive a letter 'twoptree'. I've now been told that this was a 'trial' so I'm hoping it won't be rolled out to more subscribers. There have obviously been issues with communication and you are very welcome to take out a new subscription using the offer in the current issue.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby ColinB » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:38 pm

Well I'm really glad I spotted this ! I haven't had a letter and my sub is about to expire. I've emailed my cancellation and cancelled my direct debit . Saying "you should have had a letter" is just trying to shift the blame. Under the terms of the Direct Debit Guarantee they must advise you beforehand.

We have a sub to another Immediate publication so I shall be watching the situation there too.

Very shoddy treatment of customers !

Colin
ColinB

Postby JaneyH » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:16 am

As my subscription was a gift from my husband last Christmas I've mentioned this to him and suggested he cancels. I'll look around for special offers and possibly re-subscribe in my own name ... or possibly not.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby afcgazzard » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:12 am

I cancelled my gift subscription because of the increase then resubscribed in my own name for 15.25 per six issues. So it actually was cheaper!
afcgazzard

Postby meekhcs » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:04 pm

..............and I think that is the really annoying thing about this whole issue. There are so many "offers" out there that the publishers are having to push up the monthly cover charge to cover them.

Okay some of you will say well switch your subscriptions to take advantage of these offers. Personally, lifes too short, and as a long time subscriber I object to having to do this.There is no reward for loyalty.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby a.a.barham » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:22 am

I've just had one of these letters as well. I've been a subscriber from the very start of the magazine, and now my subscription is to increase from £19 for six issues to £28.38. Like others, I'm appalled - and won't be continuing my subscription!

a.a.barham

Postby coopernicola » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:30 am

There is a new offer here, five issues for £5:
https://www.buysubscriptions.com/print/ ... bscription
coopernicola

Postby a.a.barham » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:40 am

Even the subscription rate in the latest issue is only £3.15 an issue (£40.95 for 13 issues or the equivalent of £18.90 for 6). This is no way to treat subscribers who have supported the magazine from the outset.

a.a.barham

PreviousNext

Return to Magazine chat