Moderator Control Panel ]

Subscription increase of 73% !!

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Re: Subscription increase of 73% !!

Postby crf38 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:21 pm

I realise, coopernicola, that your renewal was online but I actually used the experience that GrahamWP had. The result was the same as he had, although I actually had to ask for it!!
I am pleased that your outcome was equally as successful but I never claimed that we had achieved it in the same way.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum

Subscription increase of 73% !!

Postby coopernicola » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:53 pm

My bad crf38, I was just concerned incase more folk tried asking online. The situation is frustrating, as the web offer is from Immediate Media but their telephone staff seemed surprised this offer was available as they could not find it on their system. I'm sure after the next 13 issues I got online run out there will be a price change.
I do understand that pricing needs to increase due to costs & postage etc. But it does seem rather a steep increase when there are cheaper offers available.

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:17 pm

I think there's a good few months left on my subscription yet before I have to think about it. But I often think that companies who hold back on subscription price increases for a while, do themselves no favours, because when it does go up, it has to go up by a substantial amount. And people don't remember all the years when it stayed constant, they just see the big increase.

I've just looked at the cover price for a single issue. £5.25! How much do I read in it? Does this explain why WH Smith only seem to stock a couple of FH mags these days, compared to 4, 5 a while ago?

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app

Postby Jeanieallergy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:52 am

Those who are happy to read a digital verson of the magazine may wish to consider subscribing to the Readly service. For £7.99 per month you can use the app to read hundreds of magazines every month, plus dozens of back issues for each mag, including WDYTYA?, BBC History and many more, on up to 5 devices (smartphones or tablets). You are allowed to share your subscription with other family members as long as you keep to the limit of 5 devices.
I think they do a free trial.

I have also seen WDYTYA? Mag offered by some public libraries as part of their digital lending offering - you use an app to 'borrow' digital books and magazines by downloading them.

Postby twoptree » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:50 am

Very sad but subscription cancelled and refund of £31.50 requested. There is no saving on buying at the shops and an instant rise from £17.80 can not be justified or blamed on printing costs alone. Someone has made a monumental mistake somewhere, Sarah Williams should give the customers a proper explanation.

Postby GrahamWP » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:50 pm

A reasonable increase because of costs is acceptable but an increase of 73% is not, you are going to lose a lot of loyal subscribers at this rate.

There is something not right here I have been paying £17.95 per 6 Months ( £2.99 an issue ) since Feb 2013 are you saying that this was all an introductory price and the true cost is £5.25 per issue ?

Other Family History Magazine subscriptions are similar to the original cost i.e. Your Family History £3.15 & Family Tree £3.07 per issue.

How come Immediate Media can instantly create a new subscription for me and other people when they phone to cancel at £17.40. This all seems very underhand and terribly managed, not what I would expect from you quality Magazine.

Who is making these decisions the Editor, Immediate Media ?

Postby Pennie » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:59 pm

From the back copies that I have, I can confirm that the cover price in February 2013 was £4.99 (and it was also that price for the whole of 2012). This price was held for all of 2013 (except for the issues of July, September and December which were each £5.99).

Postby Editor » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:40 pm

I'm sorry I didn't hop onto this forum thread earlier. I was off on holiday when all this kicked off. I did know that there was going to be a price increase for subscribers who had been on a discounted rate for some time, but I did not realise that the rise was going to be so substantial.

I have talked to my publisher about it and apparently it was a difficult financial decision but we are experiencing a lot of increased costs (even running this forum costs us money) coupled with a decline in advertising revenue making the magazine uneconomical to run.

All the same, I have pushed back strongly on this (as have our subscribers) so I think this will be reviewed. It is a false economy to encourage subscribers to cancel their subscription and sign up for a new one (especially when the current subscription comes with a free copy of Family Historian software worth £35.99!).

Apologies again to all the subscribers affected by this. I understand our senior managers are reviewing the situation and I hope that a better solution is reached.

Site Admin

Postby meekhcs » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:56 pm

I too have been away on and off for the past few weeks, and hadn't caught up with the fact that I haven't received a copy since the September issue, which shows, sadly, that the magazine is no longer top of my read list! I have subscribed since issue 1, but last year had a problem with my direct debit because the supplier changed the the reference number said direct debit, and it was rejected by my Bank. Unbeknown to me, once the situation was sorted, my subscription changed from an automatic renewal to a personal renewal. As I have now missed two issues, was given no warning that the renewal was due, and the price hike which prompted the original post here, I shall not be bothering to take up another subscription.

Postby Editor » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Oh no Sally, we would be very sorry to lose you! You are such a stalwart on our forum and I would hate to lose someone who has been getting the issue from the very beginning (next year we celebrate ten years of the magazine). So frustrating for us on the editorial team when we lose readers because of things outside our control :(

Site Admin

Return to Magazine chat