Moderator Control Panel ]

Death date of Ethel May Marshall.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Death date of Ethel May Marshall.

Postby midshipman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:47 am

My great-aunt Ethel May Marshall is a bit of a family mystery. Very little is known about her other than she didn't marry and died young before the 2nd World War started.
Born in April 1885 in Great Yarmouth and baptised there on 10th July 1885.
Her parents were John Marshall 1860-1931 and Agnes Mary Ann Marshall nee Hacon 1863-1900, both also from Great Yarmouth.
Ethel May appears in the 1911 census as a servant working in Great Yarmouth.
I had previously searched for a death date without success but now believe it could be March quarter 1929 in Great Yarmouth. The Ethel M. Marshall listed has an age of 42 which is the closest match I can see.
Went to my local library and accessed the various genealogy websites without success.
Is ordering a Death Certificate my only option or can any member please advise?

Sent from my D2303 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
midshipman

Re: Death date of Ethel May Marshall.

Postby JaneyH » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:40 am

You could try looking at electoral records before shelling out for the death certificate, if they are available for Great Yarmouth.

Women aged over 30 meeting certain conditions (householders, wives of householders, occupiers of property with a rental income of over £5 a year, university graduated) gained the vote in 1918, and all women aged 21+ gained the vote in 1928. Obviously finding her from 1918 would depend on her social standing, but from 1928 it ought to be easier to find her ... if indeed she survived beyond 1929.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby brunes08 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:41 am

Obtaining a death certificate for Ethel may or may not help you to determine you have the right person. It depends on the details on the certificate. If her address is one that you know from the family and/or the informant is a member of the family then you will probably be able to make appropriate assumptions. However, if those two things do not help, then you may have wasted time and money. For example, I struggled to find what happened to my gt gt grandmother after she deserted her husband and children. With a little help from a distant cousin about a possible place and time span, I decided to obtain a death certificate for her. I did not know the address given and the informant was the doctor at the nearby hospital. However, the only information that proved conclusive was that she was identified as the widow of her husband with a correct occupation. That Ethel did not marry makes it difficult for you. Have you tried to find a possible notice in a local newspaper regarding her death or her funeral? It is always a difficult decision whether to obtain certificates so I hope you find what you are seeking.
brunes08

Postby midshipman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:45 pm

Many thanks for your help and ideas brunes08 and janeyh

Sent from my SM-J320FN using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
midshipman

Postby Lynne974 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:33 pm

Hello Midshipman

There is a probate listing in 1930 on Ancestry as follows:

Marshall Ethel May of 18 Eashing Lane, Godalming Surrey (wife of Bertie James Marshall) died November 11 1929 at 250 Elm Grove Brighton. Probate London 18 March to the said Bertie James Marshall gardener. Effects £153 5s. 5d.

If you are sure she was not married then it is probably not worth sending for the death certificate. However, as you don't know much about her, may be she did marry after all even another 'Marshall'. A death certificate will give the informants details but that is likely to be her husband.

Good luck, Lynne
Lynne974

Postby Anna.Graves.25171 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:54 am

Dear Midshipman,
I have a Henry William Marshall b 1851 in Great Yarmouth and a son Robert James Marshall b 1878 in Great Yarmouth. His son Friend Haley Marshall is my step-Grandfather. Are they linked in anyway to your Ethel?

Would love to hear from you.

Regards,
Anna in Adelaide, South Australia
Anna.Graves.25171

Postby midshipman » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:41 am

Hi Anna, greeting from sunny Spain. Sadly the Marshall branch of my family tree is still a "work in progress" but I have not found any of the Marshall's you mention so far. I will check further and get in touch if a connection comes to light. Until then my very best wishes and regards,
John

midshipman

Postby KayFarndon » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:24 am

I would like to add my thoughts Midshipman. There is every likelihood that her full name will be on her death certificate. Is she listed on the 1911 census with her full name, or just the initial of her second Christian name? Often there can be a discrepancy with ages, what age is she on the census, as it should be 26?

When applying for certificates, if you give every piece of information you have on a person, then registrars try to make sure you do not get an incorrect one. I think the death you have found is more than likely the correct one, as the place of Great Yarmouth fits nicely.

Another piece of information you can give when applying for death certificates, is to name any family member who might have been the informant of her death. Did Ethel have siblings? If so, she might have died of an illness which meant she had perhaps gone to stay with relatives if it was no longer feasible to be employed.

Let us know what happens please and I hope that my comments help.
KayFarndon

Postby midshipman » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:34 am

Hi Lynne, Many thanks for your input. Checked out the Ethel May you mention but sadly not my Ethel May Marshall but originally a Marten previous to marrying Bertie. Spoke to my oldest surviving relative since originally publishing this posting and there might of been an inheritance squabble.
Best wishes from Nerja,
John

midshipman

Postby midshipman » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:07 am

Hi Kay, thank you for your message. Yes the 1911 census return has Ethel May Marshall in full plus the age of 25. The household head is given as Miss Rosetta Core Burgess, art mistress. Checked out Rosetta and born 1853 Great Yarmouth and died 1919 Great Yarmouth, never married. Ethel's father John Marshall died 1931 in Great Yarmouth and therefore assume he would of registered her death if her death date in 1929 is correct.
Ethel's mother died in her mid-thirties of heart disease and Ethel's brother have to stop work in his forties due to severe heart disease. Wondering if Ethel's early demise was heart connected too.
Best wishes, off sunbathing shortly,
John

Attachments
1477642016657.jpg
1477642016657.jpg (84.29 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
midshipman

Next

Return to General research queries