Moderator Control Panel ]

Social commentary

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Social commentary

Postby woodchal » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:59 pm

In a recent tv series on slums, it was said that there was long recession from 1873 for 20 years, which had a large impact on families etc.

Does anyone know if there a social commentary in a short and accessible that can be laid out next to a family's tree that might help to explain moves, deaths etc. Something suitable for genealogy not historical research!

Such things as epidemics and historical events and the death of Prince Albert might be interesting as well

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
woodchal

Re: Social commentary

Postby jimbo50 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:44 am

Hiya. I've never seen one. There are timelines, though, strange though it may seem, I don't regard the majority as relevant. Where it is obviously relevant, because I prepare my trees in Excel, I am able to use the 'insert comment' command and write notes in there. The comments then appear when you run a mouse over that square. Obviously it doesn't show up on printing. Future readers may then be inspired to look themselves for explanations to ancestors' actions.
jimbo50

Re: Social commentary

Postby nzgenz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:17 pm

Like it or not, you are going to have to look at some history/social history texts! However, these often do contain a timeline at the front, showing major events. For example, a text on Queen Victoria may give a timeline showing events during her reign (the Big Stink in London for example).
If you are researching a particular area, it might be worth having a chat to the librarian at the closest university library - they may have something which could be photocopied.

Andrea
nzgenz

Return to General research queries