Moderator Control Panel ]

Ann Smith - 1851 census (Yorkshire)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby MoVidger » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:17 pm

I am searching for Ann Smith in the 1851 census. She was born c1836 in Martin Common, Bawtry, Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire to parents Joshua and Ann Smith. Her father was a gamekeeper, according to the 1841 census.

In late 1852, Ann married William Williams (iron puddler) in the district of Rotherham. They lived in Kimberworth (1861), Brightside Bierlow (1871), and Attercliffe cum Darnall (1881 to 1901). Ann died in Sheffield in 1922.

There are two possibilities, that I can see, for Ann in 1851:

1. Servant with the Thorpe family in Wath upon Dearne, Yorkshire. Her age is 17, birthplace listed as Bambrough, Yorkshire. (At the risk of sounding ignorant, I've no idea where Bambrough in Yorks is!) :oops:

2. Daughter living with a Joshua Smith (beer house keeper) in Hoyland Nether, Yorkshire. Her age is 17, birthplace is Hoyland, Yorkshire.

My only other clue is her first two children were born in Hoyland and Wath respectively.

If my Ann is the young lady living in Hoyland, then it appears father Joshua has remarried and hails from Darfield. If her birthplace was listed as Bawtry, Martin Common, or Harworth, I would be 100% satisfied this is my Ann. But the Hoyland birthplace has me worried this is another family. :?

There is an 1828 Darfield baptism record for an Edward Smith (parents Joshua and Ann). Moreover, there is a 24 April 1828 marriage record for a Joshua Smith and Ann Barker in Wath upon Dearne. These clues look good for the Ann living in Hoyland, but I'm still hesitant to confirm it's my Ann.

My only other clue is a Thomas Smith (b 1830 in Tickhill) and living in Hoyland Nether in 1861. If he's Ann's brother, then it suggests the Smith family moved back to the Darfield area after 1841.

Any thoughts on the two Ann's in 1851? If I knew where Bambrough was, I could rule out Ann #1.

Many thanks, in advance, for any thoughts or suggestions.
MoVidger

Postby brunes08 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:43 pm

The spelling may be slightly different but there is a Bamburgh a few miles north east of Wath upon Dearns. The two places are more or less between Barnsley and Doncaster. Hoyland is just south of Barnsley and Bawtry is south east of Doncaster. Darfield is just east of Barnsley. So all your place names are fairly close together except Bawtry which is a little further away from all the other places. Hope that is of help.
brunes08

Re: Ann Smith - 1851 census (Yorkshire)

Postby MoVidger » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:10 am

Thanks brunes08 for the info re Bamburgh. Now I can eliminate Ann #1.

On FMP, I just found this Deaths mention in the Sheffield & Rotherham Independent, 4 Aug 1849:

"At Martin Common, in the parish of Harworth, aged 45, Mr Josh. Kimberly, gamekeeper to Richard George Lumley, Esq of Tickhill Castle".

The surname is obviously different (possibly an error?) , but Ann's father Joshua would've been 45 in 1849. Also, there is a Thomas Smith born 1830 in Tickhill to parents Joshua & Anne Smith. So there is the Tickhill connection, providing this Thomas is Ann's brother listed in the 1841 census.

Also, there is no death registration for a "Joshua Kimberly" in 1849 on FreeBMD. However, there is an 1849 entry for a Joshua SMITH in the district of Worksop (which covers Harworth). I've always wondered if this JS is Ann's father. If so, it would eliminate Ann #2.

Sounds like I will need to order this 1849 death cert and/or Ann's 1852 marriage cert to confirm. If Joshua did die in 1849, it still begs the question: where is Ann in 1851?
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:43 am

Hi
Maybe -
Death, Sep 1849 Worksop 15 451
Kimberley, Joseph
If him I think his widow Dorothy is in Harworth in 1851 (piece 2122 folio 361 page 22)

Bamburgh in Yorkshire is I think Barnburgh, location as described by Brunes
See
http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11513
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:10 am

In the Smith household in Hoyland in 1851 there is a son Henry, 9. Says born Hoyland.
There's a baptism in Harworth, Notts, in 1842, of a Henry Smith. Parents Joshua and Ann. So that may be promising.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:22 am

Could be a mistake here with the father's name, possibly in the register? Also transcribed as Joseph by Nottinghamshire FHS.
England Births and Christenings
Name: Anne Barker Smith
Christening Date: 19 July 1835
Christening Place: Harworth, Nottingham
Father's Name: Joseph Smith
Mother's Name: Ann

It seems to be the only Smith baptism indexed in Harworth with Joseph as father.
Residence - Martin
Ditto baptism of Lilyas Smith, 8 March 1837, and Henry Smith, 17 July 1842. Parents Joshua + Ann
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:23 pm

Marriage, 27 December 1852, Wath upon Dean
William Williams, 22, Bachelor, Puddler, father Matthew Williams, Labourer
+
Ann Smith, 18, Spinster, father Joshua Smith, Labourer
residence for both Hoyland
after banns, by Henry Partington, Vicar
William signed, Ann marked
witnesses John Smith X
and Elizabeth Smith, also X
ianbee

Postby MoVidger » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:15 pm

Many thanks again Ian for some very helpful finds. It means Ann #2 looks extremely promising.

I had a feeling the newspaper mention wasn't Ann's father. After all, I spotted several gamekeepers residing at Martin Common in the 1841 census. No wonder I couldn't find an 1849 death reg for Mr Kimberly - he was Joseph (not Joshua). D'oh!
Can I just ask where you found Ann's 1852 marriage record? I looked on both FMP and Ancestry.
Ditto for Anne Barker Smith's 1835 baptism - which mentions the Martin residence.
With Nottinghamshire FHS, I take it that (free) online searches aren't available ??

Now I just need to locate a birth/baptism for mother Anne Barker; and further research Ann's siblings. I'm unfamiliar with south Yorkshire, so this side of the family is a learning curve for me.
MoVidger

Postby ianbee » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi Mo
The Harworth baptisms are on findmypast, in Nottinghamshire Baptisms
You can do a search of anything on there, the free results for this set give parish, year, fathers names. You can also put mothers names into the search, which can refine it more, even though they are not visible in results. In the actual transcriptions, occupations are not given. No images.
Family Search does not seem to have baptisms at Harworth after 1838.

The marriage is also on fmp, in Yorkshire Marriages. There are two images of it, I think both from microfilms. One is slightly better than the other. I get the impression that the other marriage on the same page, and on the same day, took place before Ann's!
There is also a marriage in Wath upon Dearne, 12 June 1854, of John Smith, 20, father Joshua, and Maria Wood.

Haven't found Joshua's apparent remarriage available online. And you are still missing the death of Ann, his first wife.
Ian
ianbee

Postby MoVidger » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:06 pm

Cheers Ian for the heads-up regarding those FMP records. Admittedly, I tend to use my FMP credits for military and newspaper records; and search BMD records using Ancestry, FreeReg, and FS. In future, I will make better use of the FMP records sets you mention.

I haven't found an online record for Joshua's 1849 remarriage to Mary Addy (nee Tingle) in Rotherham either. So I will presume wife Ann died sometime between 1842 and 1849, but unsure of the location at this point. Too many Ann Smith entries in south Yorkshire and Worksop, and obviously no ages given for these pre-1866 records.

I will definitely check out the 1854 marriage for John Smith and Maria Wood....thanks!

I am slowly but surely working my way through this Smith family, as I still need to confirm the following:

1. Ann Smith's (nee Barker) birth and death information
2. Birth places for Ann's older siblings (1841 census indicates they were 'not of county')
3. Joshua Smith's birth information. According to the 1851 and 1861 census reports, he was born in Darfield c1804 - but I haven't yet found a birth/baptism record yet. For deaths, I think he is the JS registered in Barnsley in 1884 (age 83). I have found JS still living on Dick Croft with wife Mary in the 1871 census. He is a "retired innkeeper" with a birthplace of Hemingfield.

I will continue to press on... What's slowing me down, of course, is the Smith surname. :roll:
MoVidger

Next

Return to General research queries