Moderator Control Panel ]

Jacob Shiers born Austria c. 1837

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Jacob Shiers born Austria c. 1837

Postby doddie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:50 am

I am seeking help with research into the birth and background of a Jacob Shiers who was, according to UK census information, born in Austria. It might be that he was actually born in the former region of Silesia which I believe overlapped parts of Austria/Germany/Poland. Jacob came to England in about the late 1850s and married Annie Finger (also from Austria) in a synagogue in Manchester in August of 1860. I have a copy of their marriage certificate. Jacob's father's first name is very hard to read but I have for the meantime settled for Peretz. He was a tallit maker. Jacob was the grandfather of Harold Shiers, the man I knew as my paternal grandfather. In reality he was my step-grandfather (if that is the correct expression). My grandmother married Harold in 1946, three years after the death of her first husband. I would like to establish if Shiers is a genuine Jewish surname or an 'anglicised' version. Although I have no blood ties to Harold he was a kind and friendly man and I would like to find our more about his European roots. Thus far I have been unable to find any directly accessible online Austrian genealogical records. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Doddie
doddie

Re: Jacob Shiers born Austria c. 1837

Postby Sylcec » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:58 pm

Have you investigated records at the National Archives to see if Jacob was naturalised (obtained British citizenship)? It is possible that he simplified his name in Britain from that which he was born with. See: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/naturalisation-british-citizenship/
Sylcec

Postby doddie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:35 am

Hi Sylec, will check out the link and see what the National Records hold.

Regards

Doddie
doddie

Postby jimbo50 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:44 am

Hi Doddie.
My Jewish Ancestors book, which has an index of about 250 names doesn't seem to have any starting with S. However Ancestry says following;
Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): metonymic occupational name for a Talmudic teacher, from Yiddish shier ‘lesson of the Talmud’
If it is indeed straight from the yiddish then I would say it's not anglicised.
Ashkenazi jews seem to be descendants of medieval communities from the Rhine area. (from Jewish Lives by M Amsell-Arieli)
Jim
jimbo50

Postby doddie » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:15 am

Hi Jim, thanks for that. I have come across the surname with and without an 's' at the end. I suppose the form can vary. I have also been informed that there may be a connection with the surname Schiros which, if you say it quickly or a little unclearly does sound like Shires.

Regards

Doddie
doddie

Return to General research queries