Moderator Control Panel ]

Workhouse Master and Matron

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Workhouse Master and Matron

Postby Thos. S. » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:04 am

Hello

I found two of my ancestors listed as the master and matron of a workhouse. It looks like after master is says man[?] and after matron it says munic[?]. Does anyone know what these means? Thanks.

ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1476864276.887582.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1476864276.887582.jpg (70.78 KiB) Viewed 1349 times

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Thos. S.

Re: Workhouse Master and Matron

Postby JaneyH » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:15 am

It's hard to tell without seeing more text in the same handwriting, but my guess would be that the first word is "mun" and that both are abbreviations for "municipal". I'm not sure why these would be applied though.

I'd recommend looking at Peter Higginbotham's excellent website, which is www.workhouses.org.uk

JaneyH

Postby Thos. S. » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:54 am

Thanks, Janey.

I have used that workhouse website before. It's very good.

The census is from 1881 and it's for Lancaster Union Workhouse.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Lancaster/ ... 1881.shtml

The transcription on there has it as 'man' and 'munic' but it makes sense what you say as municipal. Not sure of the significance of it though. Maybe it's nothing!

Thos. S.

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:17 pm

That first one is not in the original handwriting - it's a later annotation. It could, however, be extending the meaning of "mun", or whatever it is, from the matron and the nurse on the line below to the master as well.

This is the link to a 1901 list of occupations in the census https://goo.gl/Ds8LpV (it's via a Google URL shortener). The entries for "Workhouse & Union" etc, appear to get classified under "Municipal etc 1 2" That "1 2" in its turn refers to the bit in the image below (at least, I hope it's below). Municipal certainly seems a word in which they are interested in relation to the Workhouse & Union occupations.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Class 1 / 2
Capture.JPG (29.17 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries