Moderator Control Panel ]

Was Mr SIMPSON IRISH?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Was Mr SIMPSON IRISH?

Postby mjcosj » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:36 am

Do you have a good knowledge of Irish ancestry, I confess to being lost on the subject, can you help please?

I have, thanks to some really valuable help been able to draw up a picture of one of my wife's relatives. I cannot say thank you enough for all of the help provided, it gave me insight as to where to seek info and to hopefully be able to pass on a story to our children scattered around the world.
Matilda Bloomer SUCH Christened 15/12/1815 @ St Martins Parish Church and on May 1816 St Phillips Church Birmingham the daughter of William and Matilda Such.
1841 UK Census shows William and Matilda living in the Hamlet of Bordesley with three children but Matilda, now 24 is not there.
Matilda gives birth to Barbara who is Christened 20.6.1842 at St Martins Parish Church Birmingham. No Father .
Matilda gives birth to Fanny Such (1.4.1844) Christened at St Georges Church Edgbaston, Birmingham. No father
Matilda has a third daughter born 19th January 1849. b. cert says daughter of William and Matilda WILLIAMS (he is listed as a traveler) the address on the birth certificate home address 46 Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham.
The Christening on 7/2/1849 a private ceremony at St Martins Church. The Mother is Matilda and the father is William, surnamed Such. Williams a commercial traveller, home address is Gt Charles St Birmingham.
1841 show the three children together in Aston Birmingham being cared for by the Middleton’s (as nurse children). They all have the surname WILLIAMS.
I am unable to find Matilda in the 1841 census and wonder where she is.
I can't find marriage with a Williams. Ironically the registrars name was William Williams.
1851 Census Matilda is back home with dad etc. calling herself Matilda Such.
Matilda and the three girls all appear in Wolverhampton in 1861. She is now listed as a WIDOW and called Matilda SIMPSON, the girls are all surnamed Simpson. I cannot find a wedding.
The girls go on to marry and the family is well documented up to Matilda’s marriage to Samuel Slater and later her death.
I am missing a wedding for Simpson, possibly from Wolverhampton but more likely from Ireland.Barbara Simpson, Matilda's daughter visits Adam Simpson (born 1836 Ireland) in Dunstall, Burton On Trent. There must be a family connection but I am unable to find Adam Simpsons birth in Ireland in 1836.
Does anyone have a good knowledge of Irish research would could help please?
Thanks
Mike
mjcosj

mjcosj

Re: Was Mr SIMPSON IRISH?

Postby MayHam » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:08 pm

Couldn't find any Adam Simpson in the 1841 or 1851 Irish censuses or any of my other Irish sources.
Did notice in the 1861 Dunstall census, he said he was born in Scotland.
Coincidentally, there was an Adam Simpson born 27 Jul 1835 in Falkirk, Stirling.
He was there in 1841 and 1851 and then disappears.
He was the son of John and Agnes (Walker) Simpson.
MayHam

Re: Was Mr SIMPSON IRISH?

Postby mjcosj » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:34 am

Hi Mayham
Thank you for your help.
I hadn't considered the Scottish link possibility.
I will pursue that avenue a little closer.
Sorry for the delay in replying, been on holiday in hospital

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thank you again
Mike
mjcosj

Return to General research queries