Moderator Control Panel ]

Help wanted for Family Health History Study

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help wanted for Family Health History Study

Postby GeneaLouG » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:40 am

Hi,

I'm combining genealogy and medicine and currently doing a PhD on family health history and genealogy.

I want to learn about how genealogists find out about conditions which run in the family (anything which is health related and could be hereditary - such as common diseases/genetic conditions/mental health conditions), and how the health information is managed and discussed.

The project has been approved by the King's College, London ethics committee (ref: LRS-14/15-0692) and is based around an interview in which all information is confidential and anonymised.

If you have discovered a condition running in your family and would be interested in taking part, please get in touch and I will provide further details (unfortunately, I can't upload the information sheet!).

Thanks

Louise G
GeneaLouG

Re: Help wanted for Family Health History Study

Postby peter kent » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:00 am

You could seek advice from some of the participants in...

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/public-engagement ... ay2009/Low

I played a (very) small part on that exercise. However, the methodology may not be what you have in mind.
peter kent

Postby GeneaLouG » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:56 am

Thanks. I'll have a look and see if it fits with the work I'm doing.
GeneaLouG

Postby Chel50 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:59 pm

GeneaLouG wrote:Hi,

I'm combining genealogy and medicine and currently doing a PhD on family health history and genealogy.

I want to learn about how genealogists find out about conditions which run in the family (anything which is health related and could be hereditary - such as common diseases/genetic conditions/mental health conditions), and how the health information is managed and discussed.

The project has been approved by the King's College, London ethics committee (ref: LRS-14/15-0692) and is based around an interview in which all information is confidential and anonymised.

If you have discovered a condition running in your family and would be interested in taking part, please get in touch and I will provide further details (unfortunately, I can't upload the information sheet!).

Thanks

Louise G

Hi Louise
You may be looking for a longer link but I have a genetic condition and seem to be the first in the family. I have 2 daughters one of which,as a carrier, I have passed it onto. I belong to our charity ALD Life (also on Facebook) who may be able to put you in touch with someone who has a longer family line to help you.
Cherie
Chel50

Postby Paparico » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:51 pm

Since at least the 1700s, every one of my mother's direct line males keeled over dead after getting up from the table or getting out of bed. Not one of them died by war, famine, disease, nor accident. If that is of interest to you, the Bybee line is posted on familysearch.org. Aloha! Rico
Paparico

Postby Boudica » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:39 am

Hi
I have been researching family history for 30 years so have quite an extensive tree and I started looking at my husbands paternal tree. I notice that his grandmother's family all the immediate male family died very early, late 40's to 50's I don't know of what. So far I have seen this pattern to 1753. I would be interested to look into this in greater detail but I am not sure if it is of any interest to you. Please let me know.
Thanks
Fran
Boudica

Postby GeneaLouG » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:49 am

Hi Cherie,

Thank you for replying. I've sent you a PM

Louise

Hi Louise
You may be looking for a longer link but I have a genetic condition and seem to be the first in the family. I have 2 daughters one of which,as a carrier, I have passed it onto. I belong to our charity ALD Life (also on Facebook) who may be able to put you in touch with someone who has a longer family line to help you.
Cherie[/quote]
GeneaLouG

Postby GeneaLouG » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:55 am

Paparico wrote:Since at least the 1700s, every one of my mother's direct line males keeled over dead after getting up from the table or getting out of bed. Not one of them died by war, famine, disease, nor accident. If that is of interest to you, the Bybee line is posted on familysearch.org. Aloha! Rico

Thanks for getting in touch, Rico. I've sent you a PM with my contact details :-)

Louise
GeneaLouG

Postby GeneaLouG » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:56 am

Boudica wrote:Hi
I have been researching family history for 30 years so have quite an extensive tree and I started looking at my husbands paternal tree. I notice that his grandmother's family all the immediate male family died very early, late 40's to 50's I don't know of what. So far I have seen this pattern to 1753. I would be interested to look into this in greater detail but I am not sure if it is of any interest to you. Please let me know.
Thanks
Fran

Thanks for sharing this Fran - as with the others, I've PM'd you with my proper (uni) contact details and would be great to talk further.

Louise
GeneaLouG

Return to General research queries