Moderator Control Panel ]

Where is this bridge?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Where is this bridge?

Postby pathoaruk » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:46 pm

Hello - this photo was taken during the 1920s or 1930s. I have no idea where it is - it could be Yorkshire, Cumbria or Scotland or any where - no clues on the back at all.

Bridge.jpg
Bridge.jpg (99.68 KiB) Viewed 4290 times
pathoaruk

Re: Where is this bridge?

Postby brunes08 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:33 am

You mention Yorkshire, Cumbria and Scotland. Is this because you have family connections in those places? If so, can you link up places where people lived and possible occupations with what is in the photo. For example, there seems to be a large factory/mill behind the trees and habitation. As these are alongside the river, it could be a starting place to look at old maps of any known areas for possible towns and of industry.
brunes08

Postby pathoaruk » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:38 am

Thank you for those ideas, the photo was taken by my mother in her teens, when I know she travelled with her aunt up to Cumbria and onto Edinburgh. She also had a family connection to Saltaire, but having looked at maps and asked people in that area, no one thinks it is local to that area. I have looked at some old maps and old photos but am having little luck - which is why I thought I'd post the picture and see if any one recognised it.
pathoaruk

Postby allanh53 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:45 pm

pity you cant make out what the crest is between the arches
allanh53

Postby meekhcs » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:14 am

There is obviously a weir/steps in the foreground which makes me think of the Poultenay Bridge in Bath, but it's the opposite end of the country.
meekhcs

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Not only is it at the opposite end of the country, Pulteney bridge also has houses/shops on it! :). Furthermore, it is rather built up there, whereas photo is on edge of a town, almost countryside! Sadly, many bridges are not seen from this angle, they'd be more usually seen from above or the road view.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby meekhcs » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:52 pm

On my facebook page this morning popped up a picture of Creebridge,Newton Stewart in Scotland. I think this may well be a match for your photo. Obviously I cannot "lift" the photo from facebook as I didn't post it but google "Creebridge Newton Stewart" which is on the edge of the Galloway Forest near Dumfries and look at the images.

What do people think?
meekhcs

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:42 pm

I've attached a photo of a bridge over the River Cree at Newton Stewart. It is taken from a different angle to the one in the original photo so it's difficult to tell if it's the same bridge or not.

If it is, the bridge has had some work done on it as the main supports have small arches at the bottom in the original photo, but no arches in the newer photos. There is also no crest in the newer photos.

It's a shame it's not taken from the same angle if it is the same bridge.
Attachments
Cree Bridge.jpg
Cree Bridge
Cree Bridge.jpg (242.44 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:47 pm

Here's another view of the bridge at Newton Stewart, taken from a different angle with less buildings in the background and more trees around it. It looks like there has either been major work on the bridge or that this is not the bridge in the original photo.
Attachments
Cree Bridge - 2.jpg
Newton Stewart - Bridge over the River Cree
Cree Bridge - 2.jpg (612.23 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:59 pm

Here's a link to what could be the same position as the original photo, if it is the bridge at Newton Stewart. I've looked on Google Maps and there appears to be only one bridge of a similar age. There is a weir to the left, but not in this photo:-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.95982 ... 516!8i1006

Here's another enlarged link with a similar view:-

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.95973 ... 312!8i6656

If it is the same bridge, then the buttresses have been squared off and the arches in the supports have been filled in. The river also looks like it might have been widened. Alternatively, it is a different bridge, but possibly one in Scotland.
Last edited by ksouthall on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

Next

Return to Photo identification