Moderator Control Panel ]

Where is this bridge?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Re: Where is this bridge?

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:11 pm

With respect to Cree bridge and original, the original seems to have fewer arches, and the road seems to rise on the left, after leaving bridge. Whereas with the Cree bridge, the road drops. Also, where is the 'Shield' seen on the original.

Close, but I think not close enough.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:25 am

Mick Loney wrote:With respect to Cree bridge and original, the original seems to have fewer arches, and the road seems to rise on the left, after leaving bridge. Whereas with the Cree bridge, the road drops. Also, where is the 'Shield' seen on the original.

Close, but I think not close enough.

I agree with Mick. This in not the bridge at Newton Stewart as there is only 1 bridge over the River Cree there. Could it be from somewhere else along the River Cree? Is it necessarily even in Scotland?
ksouthall

Postby pathoaruk » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:18 pm

Thank you all for the debate so far, it's been absolutely fascinating. Please keep looking and suggesting ideas.
pathoaruk

Postby pathoaruk » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:42 pm

Having further thoughts that I hope people can help with. Is this Eden Bridge in Carlisle, before it was widened in 1932?
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0223.JPG (88.52 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
pathoaruk

Postby Narnster » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:37 am

I might be wrong, but to me it (the original photo you posted) has more of a Borders town look than Carlisle. My mother is Carlisle born and bred but didn't recognise the place. The Cumberland News is a very good local newspaper that often features old photos; maybe they could help confirm if it's Carlisle or not. The colour photo looks very like Eden Bridge but I wasn't sure if you were asking if that one or the original photo was Eden Bridge.

Sent from my Lenovo A6020a40 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Narnster

Postby pathoaruk » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:31 am

Apologies for not making myself clear. Is my original photo Eden Bridge in Carlisle before it was widened? The photo above is a view of Eden Bridge that I found on the internet and looks to my untutored eye to be similar? Thank you.
pathoaruk

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:06 pm

It's virtually impossible to tell - given that the bridge is different, you'd need to see the background. For my money, the river in the original seems narrower but even then, we can't see the full width in the original, so it's a bit of a gut feeling.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby BT1957 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi, This is the St Michael's Bridge over the River Nith in Dumfries, showing the now demolished Nithsdale Mills on St Michael Street. The photo is taken from Welldale on the Maxwelltown side of the river, just below the Suspension bridge (known as the Clacketty Bridge). Attached an old photo for verification. You can also check Google Earth. Hope this helps unravel your mystery!
Attachments
St Michael's Bridge construction late 1920s.jpg
St Michael's Bridge construction late 1920s.jpg (57.32 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
BT1957

Where is this bridge?

Postby Mick Loney » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:04 pm

I was about to contradict you, when I realised I was not looking at the original photo, but one posted later :o

Comparing st Michael's bridge on Google earth, and original photo, I think you have cracked it, even down to the 'shields' above the bridge support columns!
Mick Loney

Postby BT1957 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:40 pm

I stay in Dumfries and recognised it straight away from the the photo in this months magazine! Pleased I could help!
BT1957

Previous

Return to Photo identification