Moderator Control Panel ]

Death and Burial of my Paternal gr.gr.grandfather William Co

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Death and Burial of my Paternal gr.gr.grandfather William Co

Postby Elizabeth Rymill » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:37 pm

I have had a brick wall for many years, it regards the date of death and burial of my paternal gr.gr.grandfather William Cownley Brumwell. He was the 6th child of 9 children born to Jonathan and Martha Susanna (Cownley) Brumwell. He was born on 17th October 1792 in Newcastle upon Tyne and baptised on 17th December 1792 at St Andrews Brunswick Place Newcastle. He moved to Kendal and married Elizabeth Teasdale on 15th July 1815 at Holy Trinity Church Kendal by licence. He was a currier dealer and chapman in Kendal,there were 2 bankcrupty hearings on 22nd December 1826 and 29th January 1827. His wife died on 21st August 1836 (Westmorland Advertiser), but they had 4 sons and 3 daughters, all had successful careers such as doctors, engineers, tea dealers etc. in Kendal, London and Tyneside and 1 went to USA. William later returned to Tyneside, on 1841 census HO107/826/3f33p22 he was at Norfolk Street Tynemouth as a customs officer. He appears as Wm Bracewell on the list although the image can be seen clearly as Brumwell. He next appears on the British Postal Service appointment book no 672 on 30th June 1847 as a messenger from Newcastle to Cramlington. But that is the last entry I can find. Although his name appears on 5 marriage certificates of his children - William Cownley Brumwell father(currier)1)William Brumwell 10th July 1843 Paddington,2)James Teasdale Brumwell 5th February 1846,Ulverstone, John Jackson Brumwell 1st March 1848, then William again on 15th September 1856 Marylebone but widower this time and finally Elizabeth Brumwell 10th June 1866 it shows deceased. So when and where did he die? Brumwell is not a common surname but the spelling varies greatly as I have found 23 different spellings of it on various census reports. Can anyone help? Liz Rymill
Elizabeth Rymill

Re: Death and Burial of my Paternal gr.gr.grandfather Willia

Postby ianbee » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:18 pm

You are not the first to ask!
Newcastle Daily Chronicle, Monday 29 March 1869
WILLIAM COWNLEY BRUMWELL. —Anyone who can give information if the above is alive, or if dead, when and where he died, will be rewarded for their trouble. When last heard of was residing in Newcastle-on-Tyne, about the year 1848.—Apply to Messrs. WESTALL and ROBERTS, Solicitors, 7 Leadenhall Street, London.
ianbee

Postby pjmartin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:44 am

Have you explored the 15 or so death registrations (William Bracewell with no second name) that FreeBMD shows for the period 1856 - 1866?
Peter
pjmartin

Postby MayHam » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:37 pm

Any chance he may be one of the following?

1851: Camden Lane, Tynemouth, Northumberland, England
William Browell
Head
Unmarried
Birth year: 1793
Birthplace: Chester Le Street, Durham, England
Tynemouth, Northumberland, England
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... 0016282821

1861: 20, Camden Lane, Tynemouth, Northumberland, England
First name(s):William
Last name: Browl
Relationship: Lodger
Marital status: Widower
Birth year: 1792
Birth place: Chester Le Street, Durham, England
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... 0019594396

England & Wales deaths 1837-2007 Transcription
First name(s)
WILLIAM
Last name
BROWELL
Birth day
-
Birth month
-
Birth year
-
Death quarter
Death year
District
TYNEMOUTH
County
Northumberland
Volume
10B
Page
Country
England
Record set
England & Wales deaths 1837-2007
Category
Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory
Deaths & burials
Collections from
Great Britain
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?i ... 0421%2f005

Unfortunately, I can't find a cemetery or probate record to confirm -- sorry.
MayHam

Postby Elizabeth Rymill » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:35 pm

Last entry looks interesting as would fit with deceased on marriage certificates. Definitely born in Newcastle not Chester-le-Street. Will have a careful look. Thanks. Liz
Elizabeth Rymill

Postby Sue Browell » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:39 pm

I had two thoughts when I read the messages.

1. There is a firm of solicitors in Morpeth called Brumell & Sample. Henry Brumell joined the firm in 1799 and other relatives joined later called George, Francis. I wondered whether there were any links and whether the spelling had been corrupted? There are details of the history on the Brumell & Sample website

2. My name is Browell and like one of the other posts, it appears in many different forms including Bromwell, Brawell, Browl etc etc. possible that William Brumwell's name was 'mixed up' with the many William Browell's that lived at the same time in Northumberland and Durham
Sue Browell

Return to General research queries