Moderator Control Panel ]

Isabella or not, born 27 December 1801 in Overton Lancashire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Isabella or not, born 27 December 1801 in Overton Lancashire

Postby doddie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:03 pm

I suppose I know the answer to this but just want to check. I have been looking for the birth of an Isabella Wilson born to Daniel and Ruth Wilson in Overton, Lancashire. According to a series of census entries Isabella would have been born c. 1805. I have come across a parish register baptism for 27 December 1801 for, "Bellow daughter of Daniel and Ruth Wilson of Overton". I presume that the form of the name in the register was the result of mistaken hearing and that it should have been transcribed as 'Bella' perhaps. However, in my research 'travels' I have come across the name Bellow before as a girl's name in various documents. Would appreciate any opinions.

Regards

Doddie
doddie

Re: Isabella or not, born 27 December 1801 in Overton Lancas

Postby jimbo50 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:56 pm

Why not, 'bello' meaning fair , pleasant, beautiful. Is-a-nice. Although it is the masculine form.
jimbo50

Postby jimbo50 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:46 pm

Also do you think at the time of use of the name, the following, from 1739, would have had any impact ? - 'Admiral Vernon's seizure of Porto Bello with just six ships in 24 hours. Such was the extent of celebration back in Britain that it inspired the writing of 'Rule Britannia' and the use of 'Portobello Road' in the middle of London. It was wildly popular'.
jimbo50

Postby doddie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi Jim, certainly food for thought. It is always very interesting to discover how some Christian names become popular - or in some cases are 'invented' - in relation to an important historical event. In the case of street names, as in the Portobello Road example, you get to learn that street names can also have quite intriguing and period specific origins. It never occurred to me that the road would have been named in celebration of a battle.

Regards

Doddie
doddie

Return to General research queries