Moderator Control Panel ]

Help needed please identifying WW2 regiment

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Help needed please identifying WW2 regiment

Postby deptfordog » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:25 pm

This is a photograph taken during WW2 of my uncle.
We have no idea what regiment he was in but hopefully someone may recognise the uniform.
Any help would be much appreciated.
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1476030259.271640.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1476030259.271640.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 1010 times

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
deptfordog

Re: Help needed please identifying WW2 regiment

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:22 pm

Fortunately that is one I can recognise (so thanks for the decent photo).

Assuming it's the British Army, not the Canadian or anyone else who had similar badges, it's the Royal Artillery cap badge. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Royal_Artillery_Cap_Badge.jpg

The collar dogs (badges) match the RA - spherical grenade in the middle, flames coming out of the top and scroll beneath. That is less diagnostic - many regiments had a scroll-less version and (from memory) I think the Royal Engineers used a scrolled version.

Strictly by the time of WW2, the RA was itself split into regiments but those cannot be distinguished by uniform. FindMyPast have a collection Royal Artillery Attestations 1883-1942 so if he was in the RA before 1942, he might appear there (I say might because I'm uncertain of the coverage of those books). There is no column in those books for regiment within the RA but the sample page I just checked did have pencilled notes that looked like the artillery regiment. Otherwise to get that detailed level you'd need his service records from the Ministry of Defence.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Help needed please identifying WW2 regiment

Postby deptfordog » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks very much Adrian, not only for identifying the badge but pointing me in the direction of the Find My Past records.
I have just found him on there along with two of his brothers. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
deptfordog

Return to Military help