Moderator Control Panel ]

Help Searching Newspaper Archives - William Houghton

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help Searching Newspaper Archives - William Houghton

Postby Thos. S. » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:38 pm

My 3xGreat Grandfather was admitted to Lancaster Asylum in July 1886. I have a copy of his admission papers and it certifies him as a person of unsound mind and gives the cause of an injury to head.

The curious part of this is that it also says he has done "extremely rash and dangerous things" and mentions running between the legs of performing elephants at a circus.

I've tried researching this on the newspaper archive but I never seem to have much luck with my searches. I was hoping to find more information on the incident at the circus or possibly something about the cause of the injury.

His name was William Houghton and he was born and lived in Inksip, Lancashire in 1833 and died in Lancaster Asylum in 1890. His wife was Hannah Parr.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (272.76 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Thos. S.

Re: Help Searching Newspaper Archives - William Houghton

Postby sdup26 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:58 pm

I've tried newspapers on findmypast, but the only thing I can find is from their Crime & Punishment records, and it may not even be your William, but here goes:
At Lancaster, May 1886. William Houghton, drunk at Cockershaw. 14 days or fine of 5s plus £1.1.0 costs. Age 53 (b1833) height 5' 5", brown hair, occupation farmer, religion C of E, born Inskip.

If this might be your William, it's just a couple of months before your man was admitted to the asylum. I wonder if he was 'diagnosed' while being held - maybe it was realised that he wasn't drunk, but very disturbed. Shouldn't guess, but sorry I can't find anything else.
sdup26

Re: Help Searching Newspaper Archives - William Houghton

Postby Thos. S. » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:58 pm

All that fits with the William Houghton in question, so it seems likely that was him. How interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Thos. S.

Return to General research queries