Moderator Control Panel ]

German translation please

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: German translation please

Postby woodchal » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:50 pm

We have the names thanks it's the German/bad handwriting we are struggling with. Its Arthur Thomas Sparshott and Emilie Dembinsky by the way if it helps decipher the writing

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
woodchal

Postby MaureenE » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:27 pm

FamilySearch Wiki has a series of three free lessons "Reading German Handwritten Records" which perhaps may assist.

https://familysearch.org/learningcenter ... letters/69
Lesson 1: Kurrent Letters

https://familysearch.org/learningcenter ... kurrent/70
Lesson 2: Making Words in Kurrent

https://familysearch.org/learningcenter ... cuments/71
Lesson 3: Reading Kurrent Documents

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby Karen196 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:30 pm

My friend is German, she said it's about a court decision from the royal court of Oldenberg but she doesn't know what about. She will ask her brother when she sees him next as it's very old German

Karen196

Postby woodchal » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks, I will wait with interest - It could be a divorce as he remarried back in uk

woodchal

Postby woodchal » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:14 pm

Karen196 wrote:My friend is German, she said it's about a court decision from the royal court of Oldenberg but she doesn't know what about. She will ask her brother when she sees him next as it's very old German

I have attached a higher resolution extract from my first post. Any help with these words? you will see dembinsky again - this is the residency listing for Arthur Thomas Sparshott
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1476717271.504662.jpg
ImageUploadedByWDYTYA Forum1476717271.504662.jpg (65.17 KiB) Viewed 1026 times

woodchal

Postby MysticDave » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:31 pm

I think it is something to with the relationship between Thomas Sparshoth and his wife. The last bit reads "zwischen dem (?) Thomas Sparshoth und der (?Gemahlin) Gertrud Sparshoth, gebornen Dembrinsky" - betweeb ... TS and his (?wife) GS, born Dembrinsky.

I think it is a divorce as it seems to say "durch das von" 27th December 1894, followed by two descriptive words and then it says "Urtheil" (now Urteil, meaning 'judgement') of the Grand Ducal State Court (Landgericht) of Oldenburg [near Hamburg in Lower Saxony, which was a separate small state historically) , then it says "ist die (Ehe?) zwischen TS and GS, ge.... worden. Ist worden ge.... is a passive form translating as "has been ....", so the marriage (Ehe) . It is signed off by Muhlenbrook, who is some kind of official, a .... beamte in April 1900.
MysticDave

Previous

Return to General research queries