Moderator Control Panel ]

Charles Newton

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Charles Newton

Postby plf99 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:29 am

Hello

I am trying to trace my great, great grandfather, who appears to disappear from the scene after the birth of his son in 1831.

His name was Charles Newton and was born on 21 Sep 1796, in Shoreditch, Middlesex. He was baptised on 27 Aug 1797 again in Shoreditch. In 1818, he married Sarah Smith (b. 1796), once again, in Shoreditch. He had a son, Jonathan Charles, who was born 8 Nov 1818 and another, James William, born 25 Jun 1831. After this I am unable to find a trace of him.

There are records in various directories of Charles working as a gas fitter, in the Shoreditch area, but I have yet to find such a record post-1831.

Any help with this would be very greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

plf99

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
plf99

Re: Charles Newton

Postby pjmartin » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:19 am

plf99,
Charles and Sarah had more children. If you check you will find they four children baptised at St Leonards, Shoreditch on 6 July 1834 (Joseph Thomas, Robert Isaac, James William & Caroline). Although this may not help greatly it is later than 1831.
Peter
pjmartin

Postby plf99 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:45 am

Thanks pjmartin

To be honest, I actually forgot about Robert and Caroline, but yes, they are indeed already on my family tree.

I know that his son James was apprenticed to New Zealand as a ship's mate in the 1840s. I wonder if there's a leaf there, but would have no idea where to start.

plf99

Postby ianbee » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi
If Charles died after 1837, obviously there would be a death certificate. Nothing in the indexes stands out particularly though. Burials that are online would eliminate some of those registrations.
So did Charles die before then?
Who have you found in the 1841 census? Was Sarah around? Were the children scattered,
were any together, or none found at all?

Have some more questions!
How do you know for sure that your Charles Newton was the Charles baptized in Shoreditch in 1797?
Why not, for example, the Charles Newton baptized 21 December 1788, in Whitechapel? Parents Jonathan and Alice.

The son, Robert Isaac, born 26 July 1829, was one of the four baptized in 1834 at St Leonard, abode Leonard Street, father a Gas Fitter. But there is an earlier baptism of a Robert Newton in August 1829 in Islington. Parents Charles and Sarah, abode City Gardens. Father a Brass founder (as per baptism of Jonathan Charles)
One couple called Charles and Sarah Newton having children in that area around that time, or two?

Son James seems to be in the London settlement records on ancestry, an order of removal to Shoreditch in 1850. Parents Charles and Sarah both dead. Says his father was at 14 Little Leonard Street from circa 1817-19.
They were certainly in Leonard Street by 1822, when John Thomas Newton was baptized at St Leonards.

Did Caroline die as a young child? There is a burial of a 2 year old Caroline Newton at St John the Baptist, Hoxton, in February 1835. Abode Bath Street. So they would have to have left Leonard Street by then if this is your Caroline.
Also buried at Hoxton
17 August 1834, Sarah Newton, abode Baldwin Street, age 43
4 July 1836, Charles Newton, abode Baldwin Street, age 48
Funnily enough the entry above Charles Newton is someone from Little Leonard Street. But I think Baldwin Street was actually in the parish of St Luke.
But are that Charles and Sarah Newton a possible couple, yours or otherwise?
Ian
ianbee

Postby plf99 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:19 am

Hi Ian,

Thanks very much for the leads, very helpful indeed! I am very grateful. I had never seen the Settlement Record from 1850, which confirms both Charles and Sarah's deaths.

It is entirely possible that the Charles born 1788, is my Charles, the only reason I think it is the Charles b. 1796, is because he was born in St. Leonard's, and all of records since then (marriage, children's births and baptisms) took place in St. Leonard's.

I also decided on Charles as the gas fitter, simply because my great great grandfather (James), listed his father as a gas fitter on his marriage certificate. Again, it is entirely possible that he is in fact the brass founder.

Many thanks once again!

plf99

Postby plf99 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:31 am

In fact, even on James Williams' baptism record, Charles is recorded as a gas fitter.

plf99

Postby ianbee » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:37 am

Hi
I would kind of agree with you about Shoreditch, but we can't always be sure. Especially without an age given anywhere for Charles.
For example, Jonathan and Alice Newton had a son Jonathan, baptized in Whitechapel in 1790. He seems to be in Shoreditch in 1851 and 1861 (can't find him in 1841) Occupation Cabinet Maker/Chair Maker
Wife Mary A in 1851, and perhaps some children of hers with them, she may have been a second wife for Jonathan?
In 1812 there's a baptism at St Leonard Shoreditch of James William Newton, parents Jonathan and Sarah. They give an address, Willow Street. Which is the abode for Charles Newton on the Jonathan Charles baptism a few years later.
Another baptism at St Leonard in 1814 - George Joseph Newton, parents Jonathan and Sarah, abode Willow Street, father a Chair Maker.
Jonathan Newton married Sarah Guest, 26 Nov 1811, Shoreditch.

There seem to have been some people back then who called themselves brass founders and/or gas fitters on different occasions. So maybe that's something you could look into.
Another oddity -
Marriage of Robert Isaac Newton, 28 January 1855, St Giles Cripplegate. Full age, Chimney Sweeper. Father Jonathan Newton, Gas Fitter.
Should that read Charles for father?
Ian
ianbee

Postby plf99 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks very much for the information. I will have a look into the brass founder/gas fitter link.

So many questions and leads. Doesn't help that there are so many potentialities in terms of the names, occupations, etc.

plf99

Return to General research queries