Moderator Control Panel ]

Large amount of one surname ie BRANT in Leicestershire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby LeicsAncestors » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:25 am

i have all of the nearly 600 Brant's born in the Leicestershire area from 1837 onwards up to the latest births available.As you would expect i have many births of the same forename and many uses of the same forenames within family groups.You start to get bogged down by trying to separate different versions of the same forename which i have done on numerous bits of paper! I think that a high percentage of the 600 Brant's are related.I have over 100 all in the same family group but expect this group to at least double in size, has anyone attempted anything similar and what method worked for you please?
Iain..
LeicsAncestors

Re: Large amount of one surname ie BRANT in Leicestershire

Postby jimbo50 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:01 pm

Hiya. I did a similar thing to sort out different same name families in Scotland.
The Scotlands People downloads of search results fitted nicely into an excel spreadsheet with columns for Fathers christian names and Mothers names. You can then use data sort to sort them into groups and check the dates for probability of same family.
jimbo50

Postby brunes08 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:09 am

I have, over a thirty year period, built up a very large picture of my grandfather's family in the North Yorkshire Moors. This has taken me back to the early 1600s. Like you, and probably most family historians, I have the same forenames running through each generation. I did not do this by gathering all the same surnames I could find. I started with my grandfather and worked step by step backwards through his direct line in the days before we had all this material on the internet. Then using such records as bmd church registers, relevant certificates, census returns, wills, memorial stones, newspaper articles, directories and so on, I was able to add other members of the family.
You do not say how you have gathered your names but it seems a thankless task to work as you seem to be doing. Once you have the basic outline from your direct line then you could look sideways with perhaps better results. I wish you luck.
brunes08

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:33 pm

brunes08 wrote:... it seems a thankless task to work as you seem to be doing. Once you have the basic outline from your direct line then you could look sideways with perhaps better results...

Each to their own but I would recommend whole-family reconstruction under some circumstances. In my case I knew that my 3G GF John Cooper's father was named William Cooper. However, the problem was - which William Cooper? To do this, I had to find all William Cooper references in the area and era and look at those - in virtually no cases would single records suffice to indicate who was who. Instead, I had to reconstruct whole families in order to find out that that William couldn't be father of my John as his wife would have been 60 when John would have been born, etc., etc.

Since this was, at root, about one family, you might say that this was still just finding the basic outline of my direct line - I'd say that I had to assemble a lot of records to find all clues to John and William Cooper, and that this is what is done in whole-family reconstruction. What is probably very important is to start from some sort of beginning point(s) and not rush round everywhere.

Over time I have used several methods to do this sort of thing. One way was to assemble the skeleton details of parish records in several spreadsheets - that way I could filter and / or sort all baptisms to William and Martha Cooper together, all to William and Ann, etc., etc. If you do it in a spreadsheet, you can insert columns when you realise something else is important. I have tried to put marriages on the same spreadsheet as baptisms, with the bride and groom in the same columns as mother and father - this usually helps with visualising the most plausible ordering of events.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby phsvm » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:26 pm

I haven't looked at either of these sites but they may be worth looking at for ideas/tips etc

www.rootschat.com/forum/one-name-studies

www.one-name.org
phsvm

Postby LeicsAncestors » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:52 am

Thanks very much to everyone that has replied!
I know that the obvious way is to manipulate the data in a spreadsheet but that is not how i remember things. It help's me when i write things down which is obviously very time consuming but that is how i roll!
I have now managed to identify 67 possible Brant families in Leicestershire through the maiden names of the mother which by pure luck a large number only had one child.These i can match back to the family that each male Brant came from and at some point i will attempt the ladies!
What is amazing is the amount of mistakes that you find on people trees, if a name fits add it seems to be the logic but many times it is the wrong one.
Good luck to everyone with their research and thanks for your suggestions so far!
Iain..
LeicsAncestors

Return to General research queries