Moderator Control Panel ]

Warren family Devon

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Warren family Devon

Postby Sylcec » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:33 pm

The way forward is rarely clear, is it?!
I think we can be sure that William Warren was born about 1827/28 as he is consistent in reporting his age. He also seems to be consistent in claiming to have come from West Ogwell.

However, so far I cannot find any record which suggests that he was the son of Henry Warren.

I did check Findmypast for any WARREN baptised in West Ogwell and the only one I came up with is:
Thomas Nicholas Warren, bap 5 Jan 1834, son of Henry & Sarah Warrren of Holbeam. (Henry a labourer) In looking at the register page, it was notable that very few children were baptised at West Ogwell - the 8 baptisms cover 1826-1834! I didn't have much luck finding out more about this couple.

Looking at the 1841 census, is this family of possible interest, they are at Moretonhampstead?
Henry Warren 30
Harriett Warren 35
Elizabeth Warren 12
William Warren 10
Susan Warren 6
Ref: HO107; Piece: 254; Book: 7,Folio: 4; Page: 3, Henry appears to be a Tanner.
Sorry - that doesn't work out either as in 1851 William is still with his family, unmarried.
Sylcec

Postby Woolhe » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:49 pm

Have had time to look at the Pilton records and found a marriage for William Warren.

Willam Warren (minor - Papermaker, father John - Papermaker) married Fanny Tucker (minor - Dressmaker, father Thomas - Leather Dresser) on 13 April 1851 at St Mary's, Pilton in the presence of Thomas Tucker and Edith Hancock.

In the 1851 census William Warren (aged 21 born Exeter) is listed as a visitor with his brother Uriah (aged 9 - actually Samuel Uriah) with Thomas Tucker and his family at Near Ladybale, Pilton.

I cannot find William and Fanny in subsequent UK census records but have found:

Fanny Warren born 1837 departing Victoria, Austiral destination Port Charlmers and Canterbury on ship Hero 1 (Ancestry)
Attachments
William Warren marriage Pilton.jpg
William Warren marriage Pilton.jpg (506.94 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
Woolhe

Postby grandmabear » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:14 pm

Thank you, I had received the marriage certificate forWilliam and Susan and I am sure the father is Henry .
Unfortunately I just can't find a Henry Warren who would fit as his father.
I tried to add the attachment of the marriage but it says it's too big.
Thank you Sylvia for your input. It's so frustrating when you just come to a stop and can't seem to get any further ahead.
Susan Deamond , wife of William Warren, I am sure her surname is actually Diamond. Her father is Samuel Diamond and her mother Susanna Beer they seem to have married 27 July 1828 at Abbotskerwill Devon. If I am correct then Susanna was born 13 July 1797 at Coffinswell Devon. Her parents John Beer and Mary?
Thank you both again
Jan
grandmabear

Postby ianbee » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:54 pm

What about Wm Henry Warren, baptized East Ogwell, 1828. Parents Henry and Elizabeth.
May be the William Warren, 13, in East Ogwell in 1841 (but not with the rest of family). After then is on the missing list.
Had a brother Lewis (1837), and your man had a son Lewis.
Ian
ianbee

Postby ianbee » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:42 pm

More detail -
July ? 1828
Wm Henry
parents Henry + Elizabeth Warren
abode East Ogwell
father a Labourer
ianbee

Postby grandmabear » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:17 pm

Thank you Ian, that's a very real possibility. I will look into it and see what I can find out.
Gives me something to go on so a big thank you
Janice
grandmabear

Postby grandmabear » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:44 am

Hi Ian can you tell me where you found this information please?
I looked on free reg and family search but couldn't find them
Thank you
Janice
grandmabear

Postby Sylcec » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:55 am

Janice - the record that Ian found is on Findmypast in their collection of Devon registers.
Sylcec

Postby grandmabear » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:28 am

Thank you Sylvia
grandmabear

Postby grandmabear » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:07 pm

Just wondering if anyone would know what would the following entail?
Have made great progress with this family at last. Henry Warren was illegitimate son of his Mother Elizabeth on the record courtesy of find my past it says
Admitted to _______________________ then private baptism.
I am guessing Elizabeth had to say her son was illegitimate and wonder what would have happened afterwards if anything. He was born 1800. Was it just the vicar she had to confess to?
Thank you
Janice
grandmabear

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries