Moderator Control Panel ]

Brick wall: Liverpool Shortall

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Brick wall: Liverpool Shortall

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:52 pm

Karen196 wrote:... when I ordered the birth record it says John Joseph Shortall, no father listed but mother Rooney ...

Yes, strange though it may seem, at this time there was no space to record the surname of a child. The column that says "Name if any" refers to the given names of the child. The surname comes from the father's name (if they are married) and from the mother's name (if there is no father's name). So if the certificate says "John Joseph Shortall" in column 2 (the column for the child's name), and the mother has a surname of Rooney, then the child's registered name is effectively "John Joseph Shortall Rooney", with a surname of Rooney. That's why he's indexed under "Rooney" - or whatever someone read it as!

The indexing drops middle names and / or turns them into initials in some pattern that I don't remember.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Brick wall: Liverpool Shortall

Postby Karen196 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:56 pm

Thanks Adrian, I think that is exactly what has happened. Funnily enough, ancestry always hinted at a John Joseph Rosney in a census but I dismissed it, much to my detriment for a year!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Karen196

Previous

Return to General research queries