Moderator Control Panel ]

Probate record, but no death registration?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby MoVidger » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:29 pm

I have located a probate record on Ancestry for someone who may be my great-aunt. I would like to order her death certificate for confirmation, but the death registration doesn't appear on FreeBMD. Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Name: Georgina Smith (of 6 Boston House, Taunton Place, London, NW1)
Death date: 2 Jan 1980
Probate date: 6 May 1980 (Brighton Registry)

Her NW1 address is just a few blocks from where her father grew-up, so I have high hopes this lady could be my Georgina.

On Ancestry, there is a death registration for a Georgina Smith, dated March 1980 in Westminster. However, this lady's birth date is 1901. My Georgina was born in 1893. Having said that, my lady always shaved several years off her age. Perhaps the person(s) registering her death may not have known her actual birth year.

Any suggestions on alternate ways to obtain the necessary death registration details (volume and page number) so that I can order her death certificate? Many thanks!
MoVidger

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:06 pm

I think you'll find that FreeBMD is by no means complete. They have a link somewhere where you can check their coverage for each year.
Once you get past the 1960's, you'll see a big drop-off in coverage.
You could try Familysearch, as that is free too, but you'll find better coverage on some of the paid for sites like Findmypast.
Mike

Update: there is a Georgina May Smith, born 16 June 1893, died 1979Q1 Worthing 18 2611

Mike
Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Last edited by Mick Loney on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick Loney

Re: Probate record, but no death registration?

Postby MoVidger » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:18 pm

I had tried FamilySearch and FMP, as well. However, like Ancestry, the only 1980 London death for a Georgina Smith (no middle name) is the March registration.

According to the FS record, 1980 still had the quarterly registration conventions, so I have enough details now to order the death certificate.
Last edited by MoVidger on Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoVidger

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:25 pm

If her probate was in Brighton, then perhaps she died nearby, hence my Worthing registration in my previous edited post!

Mick Loney

Postby MoVidger » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:32 pm

No, she didn't die in Brighton. And my Georgina had no middle name. She definitely died near Marylebone/Lisson Grove because her two sons went up to her London apartment to deal with her belongings.

One of the sons died several years later, and his probate registry office was Brighton, as well. However, he died in Kent.
MoVidger

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:35 pm

Found another more that may be valid:
Eva Georgina born 3 Feb 1894 GRO registered 1980 Q2, Camden 14 0543S
NB NW1 is part of Camden registration district

Mick Loney

Postby Mick Loney » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Although she was living in NW1, it doesn't mean she didn't die elsewhere! For example, she may have died on a trip to Worthing, or in a Hospital there, where her death would have been registered, i.e don't rule out deaths registered elsewhere.
It would help if you had her full birthdate, as these appear in later registrations.

Mick Loney

Postby MoVidger » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:49 pm

My Georgina definitely died in London, and not en-route anywhere else. Apparently her body was discovered in her London apartment. Oddly enough, all of her personal effects and photos were "missing" when her sons arrived. So that could account for confusion over her date of birth.

Her birth date was 6 April 1893. However, she did like to shave quite a few years off her age as she grew older. I'm sure the 1980 death cert will confirm whether it's my Georgina or not.
MoVidger

Postby Sylcec » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:31 pm

You say her body was discovered in her London apartment. Consider the possibility that this may have led to a coroners case, particularly if she hadn't seen a doctor within a few days of her death. I don't know why it is, but sometimes the deaths supposedly registered by the coroner don't make it into the system.
Sylcec

Postby junkers » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:25 pm

Don't be mislead by Probate Registries, my dad died in Kent and his will was proved in Ipswich, Suffolk, so places of death and probate can be different. You could ask the Registry Office for Camden if they have a death entry, dates of birth on death certificates can be a bit out especially if the person who registered the death didn't know how old the person was.
junkers

Next

Return to General research queries