Moderator Control Panel ]

Same couple married twice

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Same couple married twice

Postby pollymac » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Can anyone suggest why the same two people would have taken part in two marriage ceremonies just a few months apart? Both services were in the Church of England. The first took place in Hipswell, Yorkshire, which was a base for the RAF, in March 1919. The groom was a captain in the RAF. The second marriage was in Putney, London, in August of the same year.
pollymac

Re: Same couple married twice

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:51 pm

It happens... And we seldom work out why. Maybe the first marriage was a basic wartime (not quite) marriage but one of the families wanted a more upmarket ceremony. Or someone missed the first...

I wonder what the canon law is? After all, you're not supposed to be baptised twice (although the other lot's church ceremony may not count!) or to have 2 funerals. I think it's a bit like asking God twice for the same thing is a bit much. So I'm not sure what the view is on 2 marriages....

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby junkers » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:59 pm

It may that be that the Bride wanted to be married in her parish or perhaps there was an issue with the Officiating Minister, some members of the clergy have been known to have carried out irregular marriages, usually around county boundaries.
junkers

Postby ianbee » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:22 pm

March 1919 Richmond Y. 9d 1145
Price, Ivor D.
Rogers, Beryl K.

Sep 1919 Wandsworth 1d 1353
Price, Dudley I.
Rogers, Beryl K.

Both marriages are online.
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:36 pm

How many witnesses to the (later) London wedding????

That does tend to suggest an attitude of "We'll have a proper wedding this time my girl, if you please!"

Then again, I could be watching too much TV. ;)

PS - the groom can't decide if he's Ivor Dudley or Dudley Ivor.... Or someone got it wrong and he's just signed to match.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:40 pm

It's a thought - though one would have hoped that he'd have asked first as I'm thinking that it would still be OK. I say that because my great aunt and her husband ran into a potential problem some years after they married, when they found that his birth had been registered as Frederick. This was a shock since he'd always been taught by his parents to use the rarer spelling of Frederic. A word with the vicar reassured them that it didn't matter, though the parish register was signed and annotated with the correct details.

The difference here is larger, admittedly, so it would be interesting if anyone has a feeling for whether reversal of the names compared to birth does make a difference. (Note that we don't actually yet know here which is the correct order).

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby pollymac » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:51 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
The groom’s birth was registered as Dudley Price (Dec 1898 Aston). In 1911 he was living with maternal grandparents in Belbroughton, Worcestershire and listed as Dudley Price. I have not yet been able to find any family link to the name Ivor. Perhaps it was created by Dudley to impress his bride and her family. Dudley also stretched the truth a little when giving his father’s occupation – first time round he said father was a Gentleman, second time he said he was a Mechanical Engineer. On all the records I have found so far, his father was a Scythe Forgeman.
On several passenger lists travelling to and from Egypt, Dudley is recorded as Ivor Price or I D Price. He died in 1925. His death and probate records were both as Dudley Price. His obituary in the local paper where his family lived referred to him as Dudley Price. Interestingly, the obituary gives a detailed account of his life and achievements but there is no mention of him being married. His wife/widow Beryl was not listed as one of the mourners at the funeral although she did send a wreath.
Tracking the passenger lists has been interesting. They travelled first class each time and their address was given as Holland Park Avenue, London. They also show Dudley and Beryl travelled along with a Flight Lt. F Leathley in 1923. Beryl travelled back to London in 1924 without her husband but with Mr F Leathley. Forde Leathley was divorced by his first wife in Feb 1926. Beryl K Price then married Forde Leathley in Dec 1926.
Dudley’s obituary stated his death was caused by septicaemia. I have sent for his death certificate.
pollymac

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:30 am

Sounds like a really good story. You should take bids for the film treatment now...

Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AntonyM » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:46 am

jaykayare wrote:How was Ivor/Dudley's birth registered? Might they/someone have thought the legality of the first marriage might be questioned if he had used his names in a different order?

The name on a marriage register should be the name the person is known by at the time of the wedding - there is no requirement for it to match their birth certificate.

Of course it may sometimes later cause confusion if it doesn't in which case a simple correction could be made to the original entry.
AntonyM

Postby pete25 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:59 pm

There is a time limit to make corrections and after this NO edits can be made

'Of course it may sometimes later cause confusion if it doesn't in which case a simple correction could be made to the original entry.'

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Next

Return to General research queries