Moderator Control Panel ]

Same couple married twice

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Same couple married twice

Postby AntonyM » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:11 pm

Pete

Corrections to a register entry can be made at anytime, so long as there is a qualified informant to give the correct information and if the necessary authority is given (depending on the type of correction)

I have a marriage certificate that I use as an example sometimes which shows the spelling of the groom's name being corrected 29 years after the event.
AntonyM

Postby pete25 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:26 pm

The original information will always be shown in the marriage register. After the correction has been authorised, a note will be added to the margin of the register. This will explain what the correct information is and when the correction was made.

Source: GOV.UK

Was this the case on your marriage certificate?

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby AntonyM » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:46 pm

pete25 wrote:The original information will always be shown in the marriage register. After the correction has been authorised, a note will be added to the margin of the register. This will explain what the correct information is and when the correction was made.

Source: GOV.UK

Was this the case on your marriage certificate?

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum

yes - the correction is in the margin.

That is how all corrections are done - the original entry in the register isn't ever replaced or erased, but the correct information is added. Certificates produced from that entry after the correction is done will show the corrected information - they MAY show the original information as well (it depends on the nature and seriousness of the correction made).
AntonyM

Same couple married twice

Postby brunes08 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:23 pm

We have gathered quite a lot of information about Dudley but very little about Beryl. Without knowing her age or status (single, widowed, divorced) at the first marriage, it is only speculation as to the reason for the second. I have looked for a birth for her but nothing conclusive turned up nor on the 1911 census.
brunes08

Postby pollymac » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:15 pm

Beryl Kissane Rogers was baptised Feb 1899 in Swanage, Dorset, daughter of Serrell Michael Rogers and Florence Mary Rogers. Beryl’s sister, Phyllis Kissane Rogers, was baptised on the same day. Their father was recorded as a Gentleman. (Baptism record on Ancestry). The family were living in Swanage in 1901. Beryl was aged 2 years and said to be born in Swanage but I cannot find her in the register of births. Her father Serrell, aged 46 in 1901, is listed as Retired Officer Captain RA born Dublin, Ireland. Serrell died in 1908. As yet I have been unable to find Beryl in 1911. Perhaps she was living abroad or travelling.
Beryl stated she was a spinster at both marriage ceremonies and Dudley was a bachelor.
On further research, I’ve found that two of Beryl’s sisters witnessed the London marriage – they were Phyllis Kissane Rogers and Nora Bevan Cox (nee Rogers), also Nora’s husband, B C Cox. It appears that witnesses at the first marriage were not family members. I wonder if Beryl’s family ever knew about the first ceremony.
A death notice in The Times states that Beryl Kissane Leathley died in 1986 in Durban, South Africa.
pollymac

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:53 pm

Well, I'm glad someone could work the witnesses out for the 2nd wedding. I wasn't even sure where one name ended and the next began, but clearly it helps when you can recognise the names. :smile:

For what it's worth, my best **guess** is that the couple married where he was stationed

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Well, I'm glad someone could work the witnesses out for the 2nd wedding. I wasn't even sure where one name ended and the next began, but clearly it helps when you can recognise the names. :smile:

For what it's worth, my best **guess** is that the couple married where he was stationed (I don't think we know for certain that's where he was stationed but it's another good guess) and without family involvement. And then they were pushed into a family wedding in London. As you say, the family may not have known about the 1st wedding, or they may have but decided to ignore it for their own reasons.

In the absence of any diary or similar, this is all guesswork but may be the best we can do.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby pollymac » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Just found the marriage of Nora Kathleen Rogers (Beryl's sister) to Bevan Charles Cox in 1909 in Weybridge, Surrey (Ancestry) and there are even more witnesses to this ceremony!
pollymac

Postby ianbee » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Possible birth in the district for Swanage?
March 1899 Wareham 5a 26
Rogers, Female

Have you got Beryl's RAF record from the National Archives?
ianbee

Postby pollymac » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:54 am

I hadn't spotted that birth record - thanks ianbee.
Yes, I have Beryl's RAF record. She enlisted with WRAF on 7 May 1918, aged 19 years, occupation motor driver.
Beryl's family are proving to be very interesting. Her brother Sheffield Digby Kissane Rogers was killed in 1915 at Ypres. They appear to have been part of the 'landed gentry' in Dorset. Although Dudley was from a 'well respected' family, I can only wonder how well he was recieved into the Rogers family - or maybe, he wasn't.
I have not found any children for Dudley and Beryl but Beryl did have one child, a daughter, with second husband Forde Leathley.
pollymac

Previous

Return to General research queries