Moderator Control Panel ]

lost family burial

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

lost family burial

Postby john walker » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:14 pm

Searching for my wives great aunt,she is Anne Alexander Thomson born Carfin street Glasgow in 1898/99 she was born a twin with a brother James, in the 1911 Scottish census she is listed as feeble minded she was placed in Boldovan institute outside Dundee after her parents died James died in Dec 14th 1914 in Perth Scotland,then her mother died 15th May 1915 , Anne died from Tuberculosis 12th November 1918 her death was reg Nov18 1918 by Alfred ? attendant at Boldovan Insitute at the office of Mains and Strathmartine Angus/Forfarshire this area is to the north of Dundee city her Parents were buried in Cathcart cemetery Glasgow but no sign of Anne being buried beside them her two brothers (one her twin) went to Canada and the USA after coming out the army after WW1 so Know where they are plus my wives grandmother and her other sister "no Anne" .We have contacted all records for burials in the Dundee/Perth/Perthshire areas and just about every undertaker in the the same areas to see if they had any records going back to this time "no luck". We have a theory that in the post armistice celebrations they coincide with her death, the records may not have been fully documented. The address in Perth for her parents and her own last known was Windsor Terrace Perth . Ever hopeful JW
john walker

lost family burial

Postby brunes08 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:02 am

Anne died at the height of the 1918-19 influenza pandemic that killed some 50 million people around the world - Scotland was not exempt from the outbreak. With the medical professions and the burial services under huge pressure, it is possible that some records were not completed. I did wonder whether she was cremated but the Dundee crematorium was not built until the middle of the 1930s.
I've just googled the Institution. There are a lot of sites devoted to it - one is a link to the National Archives which may be of some help as it seems that some records are held there.
brunes08

Re: lost family burial

Postby MaureenE » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:56 pm

If the Boldovan institute which is advised to be outside Dundee, had large grounds, (or just spare space) is it possible that the residents who died were buried in the grounds?

Mental and other asylums were quite often located in remote areas, away from towns, so the nearest cemetery may have been some distance away, with the physical difficulties in getting the deceased person there, in the days when there weren't many motor vehicles. No doubt it would have been easier and cheaper for the Institute management to have burials on site.

Cheers
Maureen
MaureenE

Postby junkers » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:45 pm

Have you checked with the Dundee Archives which may have the records (see http://www.safhs.org.uk/burialground.asp?ID=1374) which has some of the burial records. I think you will find it is the Baldovan rather than the Boldovan Institute.
junkers

Postby ermin79 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:57 pm

I have just read about a project on the institute that has been ongoing for the last year or so:
http://www.strathmartinestories.co.uk/about-us/
incorporating oral histories of more recent patients and archive documents about the Baldovan Institute, later Strathmartine Hospital. If you have not yet had any luck tracking down a burial contacting the archivists in charge of this might bear fruit.
ermin79

Return to General research queries