Moderator Control Panel ]

A lady professor of Music in the 1851 Census!!!

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

A lady professor of Music in the 1851 Census!!!

Postby mjcosj » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:47 am

Please can anyone educate me please.
My wife's Gt gt gt Grandmother Matilda Bloomer Such is listed in the 1851 census as aged 34 and unmarried giving the Occupation of Professor of music.
I have checked and it isnt a mistake in the writing, it is very clear.
I am suspicious of it because Ladies were not prominent as Professors or Professors of music in the 1850's but some were performers; ie; the Music Hall.
In the 1861 Census Matilda is in Wolverhampton and a Dress Maker and teaching her daughter Dress making.
Please can anyone shine any light on this or was Matilda stretching the truth?
Many thanks
mjcosj
mjcosj

Re: A lady professor of Music in the 1851 Census!!!

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:01 am

I can't double check right now but I have a feeling that the term "Professor of Music" was often used simply to mean "Music Teacher". Just an ordinary person, certainly not with formal academic qualifications, but who might make a bit of money teaching people.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby peter kent » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:01 am

"Professor" was often used to mean just "teacher", usually a private teacher and usually (in my experience) in music. For "professor of music", read "Music Teacher".
peter kent

Postby mjcosj » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Many thanks.
We suspected that Matilda might be teaching music but the word professor was quite a surprise.
Many thanks
Mike and Linda
mjcosj

Postby nzgenz » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:09 am

It can also mean a pianist at the music hall.
I have an ancestor who is also referred to on various censuses as "professor of music". He was a composer of note for the music hall and worked with some very well known artistes, and probably did teach music at various times, but he certainly wasn't a professor!
And I recall hearing the term used on a very old TV programme with a music hall theme.
Andrea
nzgenz

Postby mjcosj » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:49 am

Thank You Andrea,
I did consider the Music Hall profession concerning Matilda but could not find any link to musicians in the music Hall or Theatre. I am not sure about the role of ladies in such fields as music hall musicians in that era though.
Many thanks for your valuable response
Mike and Linda
mjcosj

Postby muriellouise » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:32 am

I've found 3 generations of men in my family in Sussex, called professors of music and I'm sure they were just teachers.
muriellouise

Return to General research queries