Moderator Control Panel ]

Robert and Georgina Worrell - 1911 census

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Robert and Georgina Worrell - 1911 census

Postby MoVidger » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:29 pm

For several years now, I have been trying to find my great-grandfather Robert Worrell and his daughter Georgina in the 1911 census, but with no success.

Robert was born May 1854 in Marylebone, London. His occupations were plasterer, then builder.
Georgina was born April 1893 in Aldershot, Hampshire.

Robert can be found in every census from 1861 to 1901. Georgina can be found in the 1901 census.

Robert's wife Ellen and their younger children can be found in the 1911 census, living at 2 Holly Road, Aldershot. So in theory, Robert should be with them on census night, but he's not. (Robert died in January 1917 at St Bart's Hospital, London).

Georgina would have turned 18 a few days after census night, so she may have already left home. I don't believe she had married by 1911, mainly because I don't think Robert would have allowed it.

Georgina didn't officially marry until 1933 (in Paddington). So one has to cast a very wide net with Georgina in 1911. She could be anywhere and/or using whichever surname suited her at the time. She was what you'd call a "free spirit", and had little contact with her siblings over the years.

With both Robert and Georgina, I have tried searching using just first names and birth years, first names and birth places, first name and occupation (for Robert), etc. But nothing leads me to this father and daughter.

Any assistance finding Robert and Georgina in 1911 will be greatly appreciated!
MoVidger

Re: Robert and Georgina Worrell - 1911 census

Postby sdup26 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:51 pm

You say she could be using any surname that suited her at the time, so here's a long shot:
Household of George Henry Fisher, Folkestone, Kent, 1911 - Georgina Vickers, general servant domestic, 20, born Aldershot.
sdup26

Postby MoVidger » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:38 pm

I noticed that Georgina, too. But she is most likely the Georgina Vickers who was born in the district of Hartley Wintney, Hampshire in 1891. So, not my Georgina.

During WWI, the Worrell family moved to Sittingbourne, Kent. Georgina turns up there circa 1917. By the early 1920s, she had ties to the Brixton and West Norwood areas.

But finding her (and her father) in the 1911 census is my conundrum, at the moment.
MoVidger

Postby Sylcec » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:41 pm

Was she a suffragette and refused to complete the census?
Sylcec

Postby MoVidger » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:05 pm

I had considered the suffragette angle, as well. My grandmother (Georgina's sister) was a die-hard suffragette supporter, at the time. She evaded me in the 1911 census, too. So I put not finding her down to the suffragette refusal to complete the census.

However, she finally turned up in the census -- living in Colchester, Essex of all places. Turns out she was temporarily boarding with her husband-to-be's friends -- and already using his surname -- three months before the actual marriage. So much for her suffragette sympathies!

I wouldn't be surprised if Georgina did something similar, but I'm 99% certain she didn't officially marry until 1933. I just can't locate a suitable Georgina born c1893 in Aldershot in 1911. Even IF she was using a current beau's surname -- something she would go on to do in the 1920s.
MoVidger

Return to General research queries