Moderator Control Panel ]

George & Emma Craddock

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

George & Emma Craddock

Postby ClareBear » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:56 pm

Hello.
I am hoping that someone can help with the disappearance of these two ancestors.

George Craddock was born in 1837, in Denbighshire to a single woman Caroline Craddock. I have found him on the 1841 and 1851 census, living with his grandmother rather than his mother Caroline. He married Emma Woodcock (b.1840) in Wellington, Shropshire in 1858. His occupation was Engine Fitter. He and Emma had a daughter in 1859, born in Congleton, and she was named Selina. (father's occ: Engine Fitter). I am not aware of any other children.

The family are living in Tyrley, Staffordshire, as found on the 1861 census (with Emma's parents next door). However in 1871 George and Emma are nowhere to be found. Selina however is now living with her grandparents in Tyrley under the family name Woodcock.

Selina got married in 1879 in West Derby to Edward Storer and on the marriage certificate it reveals that her father George is deceased (Occ: Engine Fitter). (Selina's maiden name is now back to Craddock)

So the mystery to be solved is:
Where are George and Emma in 1871?
Where and when did George die?
What happened to Emma?

I would appreciate any help, as I just can't find George or Emma anywhere, it's like they have just vanished into thin air!
Thank you
ClareBear
ClareBear

Re: George & Emma Craddock

Postby sdup26 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:59 pm

George and Emma are on the 1861 census, but can't be found in 1871, and when Selina married in 1879, she said her father was deceased. Have you investigated the possibility that George could have died anytime from 1861? For instance, there's a death for a George Craddock MQ 1861, Bromsgrove 6c 262.
If you can find an early death for George, and bearing in mind marriage certificates didn't ask about mothers! - did Emma remarry? There's a marriage for an Emma Craddock to William Parkes DQ 1869, Bromsgrove 6c 711. In the 1871 census, they're living in St Mary Leaton, Shropshire. William was b1823 and Emma b1839 (in Shropshire). There are 5 children listed, some presumably from a first marriage, as the eldest, Thomas, was born 1852, so William's wife b1839 couldn't be his mother. This Emma may be a complete red herring, but I mention her just in case, because like you, I can't find George and Emma Craddock in 1871.
sdup26

Return to General research queries