Moderator Control Panel ]

Sanders of Horley

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Sanders of Horley

Postby pammikebruno » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:57 am

SANDERS OF HORLEY, SURREY AND LATER EAST GRINSTEAD, SUSSEX
I have traced my Tree back to late 16th century. From Shere in Surrey, they can be traced back first to Redhill, then Bletchingley, then East Grinstead and Felbridge and finally to Horley, Surrey.
I am presently at John Sanders, born in Horley in about 1585 who died 1639. He married Joan Rowley [widow of Richard Rowley] in 1615 and they had six daughters and three sons.
The family lived at this time in a property called Pickards or Picketts, close to St Bartholomew's Church in Horley and also farmed land at Inholms, some 3 miles further east. They stayed at Pickards until John's grandson married Katherine Butcher in Horsham in 1692, when they moved to East Grinstead, although they continued to own Pickards for several more generations.
I am now at a bit of a brick wall to get further back beyond John - is anyone else tracing this family; if so, can we pool our knowledge?
pammikebruno

Re: Sanders of Horley

Postby ksouthall » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:02 pm

I have a Mary Sanders from Horley in my family tree but I haven't been able to trace her parents. I don't know if she is connected to your family or not. It sounds like you have had better luck than me.
ksouthall

Postby Sylcec » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:59 pm

Looks like great research results. Don't know what records you have been into, but noting that your family owned property, I would anticipate that they would have left wills. Begin with PCC and if there is nothing there, then check the Bishop's court, and then Archdeacon's court records for Surrey. If no will, then there should at least be an administration (usually not terribly helpful though).

You may also find records in Exchequer or Chancery (National Archives) - ownership of property was often decided or confirmed through litigous means.
Sylcec

Postby jimbo50 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:30 am

Hello. Whilst looking for information on ancestors time in Horley, I went one tuesday afternoon to Horley Library's meeting of Horley family history society. I was helped along by Mr Peter Cox and society members to the relevant records and came away with a heap of information. If you live nearby, it's well worth the trip. Give the library or one of them a ring. www.horleyhistory.org.uk
From their website;
In over 50 years of existence, it has assembled copies of a large collection of maps of the district, one dating back over 400 years. It also holds extensive census and parish records, sales documents of past properties, wills, family trees, photographs, etc, most accessible to members for study and research.
jimbo50

Postby pammikebruno » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:30 pm

Thanks for all the replies – most interesting.

To ksouthall:
I have over 200 family members in the Tree at present, including several named Mary. I have a Mary Sanders from Horley, baptized at St Bartholomew’s Church on 13th April 1630 who was the daughter of John Sanders [born about 1585, possibly in Charlwood] and Joane Sanders [previously Joane Rowley and nee Maunsell - she was married twice; her first husband died 5 weeks after the marriage] and sister to Joane, Sarah, John, Judith, Richard, Agnes, Alice and Jeremie. Does this help?

To Sylcec:
I have looked at the Archdeaconry Records for Surrey; also many of the manorial and court records for the Manors in Horley [there are several, but it seems that Horley Manor and Horley Lodge Manor are most relevant to my branch of the family]. I have Wills back to 1638, but am struggling beyond that at the moment. I believe most of the manorial records are held at London Metropolitan Archives in London, and I have yet to pay them a visit.
The properties I am particularly interested in are Picketts Farm [or Pickyards], Inholms Farm, Hopps, Woolvers, Littlelake Farm, Crutchfield Farm and Wray Farm.

To jimbo50:
I have been to Horley Library and Peter Cox, and indeed Roger Ellaby, has been most helpful. I am due to make further visits over the next few weeks, particularly to study in more detail the Christ’s Hospital 1602 Map of Horley and associated records of the Stove Family who were the Lord of the Manor at the time I’m interested in.
pammikebruno

Postby ksouthall » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:49 pm

pammikebruno wrote:To ksouthall:
I have over 200 family members in the Tree at present, including several named Mary. I have a Mary Sanders from Horley, baptized at St Bartholomew’s Church on 13th April 1630 who was the daughter of John Sanders [born about 1585, possibly in Charlwood] and Joane Sanders [previously Joane Rowley and nee Maunsell - she was married twice; her first husband died 5 weeks after the marriage] and sister to Joane, Sarah, John, Judith, Richard, Agnes, Alice and Jeremie. Does this help?

Hello pammikebruno,
Thanks for the reply and for having a look for me. My Mary Sanders was born in about 1766, probably in Horley, based on the marriage bond I have for her. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to confirm who her parents were. I have ruled out the following:-
Mary Sanders - baptised 1761 - daughter of Johnson Sanders and Martha Charlwood as she married James Blake, according to Johnson Sanders' will;
Mary Sanders - baptised 1779 - daughter of Richard Sanders and Lucy Atterill. She appears to have married Henry Brigden.
My Mary was born some time around 1766 but I haven't found a baptism to find out who her parents were.
Best wishes,
Katherine
Last edited by ksouthall on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

Postby pammikebruno » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:48 pm

Hello, All
I am particularly stuck on finding the record for the marriage of John Sanders or Sander, probably born in Charlwood, Surrey, maybe in Horley, Surrey in about 1618, [son of John Sander and Joan Rowley] who married Sarah [surname unknown] probably between about 1640 and 1660, again probably in Horley. but likely to be somewhere in East Surrey.
Please, has anyone any leads on this marriage?
pammikebruno

Return to General research queries