Moderator Control Panel ]

Help with maiden name

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Help with maiden name

Postby Sylcec » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:44 pm

Looks like Heonor to me.
Sylcec

Postby brunes08 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:48 pm

I've tried to find a marriage but nothing appears that would fit. The two census returns above seem to contradict each other. The 1841 seems to indicate that all the children were born in Surrey but the 1851 says Ireland. If this is so, then the marriage may have taken place in Ireland and not so easy to trace. Therefore, why would Charles go to Ireland? Lots of interesting questions. Incidentally, the Irish Potato Famine lasted from 1845 for about 5-6 years so is not relevant regarding the family moving to England.
brunes08

Postby jimbo50 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:27 pm

brunes08 wrote: Incidentally, the Irish Potato Famine lasted from 1845 for about 5-6 years so is not relevant regarding the family moving to England.

It didn't happen overnight, Brunes08ey, you don't have 114 parliamentary commissions and 61 special committees between 1801 and 1845 enquiring specially into the state of Ireland for nothing.
as Benjamin Disraeli put it in 1844, "an (already-me) starving population, an absentee aristocracy, and an alien Church, and in addition the weakest executive in the world.
jimbo50

Postby batty » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:37 pm

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Although the 1851 census shows all the children as being born in Ireland this is an error as I have baptisms and registrations that show they are all British born. With regard to certain being out of focus I will see if I can get a better one using a separate camera and not the iPad.
Thanks again
Batty
batty

Postby batty » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:09 pm

Ian, Mary Ann Silvey died in January 1854 at the address shown on daughters birth certificate, Nelson Street, Bermondsey.
batty

Postby batty » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Here's another version of the certificate, hope it's more in focus
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (168.8 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
batty

Postby jimbo50 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:03 pm

Thank you Batty. I'm still no nearer though. Do you kow what is written between the date and her address in When and Where born ? Also who is Registrar ? George Gill ...?... ?
Most of the writing is quite good and legible, I'd go for another different birth certificate. Jim
jimbo50

Postby 2012girl » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:04 pm

It's a shame a marriage can't be located for confirmation. Are the eldest 2 children the Charles Frederick & Mary Ann Silvey jointly baptised in 1832 in Lambeth? It looks like the marriage (if there was one) should have taken place prior to official registrations. If Mary Ann was Irish perhaps the marriage took place over there, in which case it would be difficult to locate.

Just looking at other avenues, as sometimes you have to go round the houses. Are the other Silvey's in 1841 siblings of Charles? There are some possible baptisms in Lambeth for them to a William & Ann Silvey, he was a baker (as was Charles on the elder 2 childrens baptisms if they are correct, so maybe a link?) Have you located a baptism for Charles, have we confirmed his origins?

I think we can all take guesses at what her surname might be, I can see how it could be Mconor and also Keown, but it's open to interpretation. It depends how badly you want to know but I would also suggest getting another childs birth certificate for comparison. You could try ordering a copy from the local register office, rather than the GRO, so that you either get a photostat copy of the original entry or a transcript of it, in which case the registrar issuing it may have a better idea of her name, if they have the original register in front of them. The GRO entry is a copy of a copy and sometimes I find they can be a bit grainy in quality, with extra dots behind the writing which doesn't help. But it's down to how important you think it is and if you think it is worth forking out for?

Jill
2012girl

Postby batty » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:54 pm

Thanks again for suggestions etc Jim and Jill. Charles is the son of the William and Ann Silvey you discovered and no I can't work out what that little section is on the when and where born. Did wonder if it was a time for some reason, although I have no reason to suppose she was a twin. I have written to the Southwark Register Office asking if they could check their original copy against the photocopy I sent them and see if they could read Mary Ann's name. I will let you know if I hear anything from them
Batty
batty

Postby 2012girl » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:18 pm

I mentioned Charles' origins in case there was some shenanigans with his name which was preventing us finding a marriage, it has been known!

I think the extra information on the certificate is '7 AM', I also had a time written on a birth certificate for a child who also doesn't appear to have been a twin. Unless the twin was stillborn, perhaps just a bit of extra info recorded by the registrar?

Jill
2012girl

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries