Moderator Control Panel ]

Butsfield Plantation, Lanchester, Durham

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Butsfield Plantation, Lanchester, Durham

Postby MoVidger » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:11 pm

My 3 x great-grandfather Edward Johnson (1781-1849) was born at Butsfield Plantation, according to a FreeReg record. His parents were William and Elizabeth Johnson.

In order to take his family back further, I need to uncover details regarding his parents. Other than their names, I know nothing about them. I presume they were servants at Butsfield at the time of Edward's birth in 1781. (Edward's own occupation in early adulthood was "servant" and "groom", but not at Butsfield).

So I'm hoping there are surviving records relating to Butsfield's staff and servants, but don't know where to begin looking. There are several mentions of Butsfield Plantation and Woodlands on Internet. However, the entries refer to the owner Thomas White, Esq (of Retford, Nottingham) and the thousands of trees he planted, after forming the Woodlands in c1773.

If anyone can offer any tips and suggestions regarding Butsfield staff records, I'd be very grateful.
Note: I do not live in the North East, so I am unable to visit any potential records repositories at this time.
MoVidger

Re: Butsfield Plantation, Lanchester, Durham

Postby meekhcs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:26 pm

Hello
Northumberland Durham FHS have a great Forum if you don't already know about it. You have to register to be able to use it. It is very comprehensive and care needs to be taken to make sure you post in the correct section. As on here,there are some very good contributors who are usually only to happy to help those living in other parts of the country.

The FHS website is www.ndfhs.org.uk and when it opens click on Forum.

Another useful site is Durham records online www.durhamrecordsonline.com but there is a charge to view records
meekhcs

Re: Butsfield Plantation, Lanchester, Durham

Postby MoVidger » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:08 pm

Sally, many thanks for the links you kindly provided!
MoVidger

Return to General research queries