Moderator Control Panel ]

1901 census

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

1901 census

Postby C Verrill » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Has anyone out there got any hips or tips or shortcuts or wildcards (in fact anything) for searching the 1901 census records please? I keep getting the wrong family in my ancestry tree hints.

I am having difficultly in finding my Worthington family in this year who may well have got separated some how:

Charles Worthington B.1847 - D. 1915 (No 1901 census found but I know he died in the workhouse)
Caroline Worthington (Hayes) B.1856 - D.1919 (one appears as a servant in Christchurch Oldbury if correct one in 1901)
Daughter - Rachel Worthington B.1886 - D.1939 (no 1901 census found - got 1911 with mother and 2 illegitimate children) They lived in back to back housing with Nash family (mis-transcribed on Ancestry as father)

Previous census's record a Daughter - Louisa (which I've traced as part of the Lloyd family following marriage); Son - Samuel died young and Son - Charles have some records for him (if correct one) so I know what happened to them in 1901.

I have a gap that I need to fill - any comments or suggestions would be most welcome please? Chris
C Verrill

Re: 1901 census

Postby meekhcs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:43 pm

To speed up the search where were they in 1891 and where were they each born? Thanks
meekhcs

Postby C Verrill » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi - they were all alive and well as a family living in Nelson Street in Oldbury in 1891.

Apart from the father (Charles) they were all born in Oldbury Staffordshire and remained there for all their lives.

I have even tried searching for variations of the spelling of Rachel in particular as she is the one I am anxious to find and even tried some variations of the surname in case its been mis-transcribed.
I can't find her at all - could it be that she didn't include herself on the census in 1901 perhaps?

Thanks
C Verrill

Postby sdup26 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:23 pm

I can't find a Rachel Worthington in 1901, but this may be a long shot:
Worcester St Andrew 1901, household of Richard Roberts
A. Worthington aged 17 (c1884) general servant domestic, born Stafford, Staffs
sdup26

Postby brunes08 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:19 am

From your first sentence, it seems that you have been searching for results on Ancestry. I thought you might find my experience useful/helpful etc.
I could not find my gt grandmother on Ancestry in the 1881 census. Nothing vaguely like her name appeared. So, I took advantage of an offer on Find My Past. No problems - I found her on the first attempt. She was in-service at a vicarage a few streets away from her parents. I took the details of the head of the household and entered those on Ancestry. No luck. So I entered each member of the household, one at a time. Still no luck. Then I entered just the first name of the youngest child, aged 1yr. A few came up that might be appropriate, so I checked each one. Through this way, I found the family and my gt grandmother.
The image of the census showed that the enumerator had beautiful clear handwriting, with no ambiguity in any of the words on the page. I do not know what planet Ancestry's transcriber was on at the time but the transcription of the names was nothing short of appalling, bearing no likeness to the original document. I have found this so on other transcriptions from Ancestry. This may not be your problem but as the saying goes 'leave no stone unturned'.
brunes08

Postby ianbee » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:05 am

Brunes, all you needed to do was to note the piece/folio/page numbers. Then enter them on ancestry in the boxes provided. That's what they are there for!
Are you sure it was the 1881 census? Ancestry and findmypast use the same transcription for that one, it was done many years ago by the LDS/FFHS.
ianbee

1901 census

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Findmypast also has unexplicable problems with their indexes / result listings for censuses.

After entering all different combinations of search criteria, I am often unable to identify the correct result. When I then turn to FamilySearch, who list their results in a different manner, I am often able to find the result I want.

However, what is frustrating is that when I then view the image via their link to Findmypast, I am often surprised to see that although the entry has been transcribed correctly, for some reason FMP doesn't find it and so it doesn't appear in their list of potential matches. (If you don't have a subscription to FMP to view the image, the piece/folio/page details given in the result summary, will enable you to view it on other subscription sites)

So, my advice is to take advantage of Family search. Do a complete record search, (Census, births, marriages, etc, etc) then select the recordset you are interested in (e.g. 1901 census), Their results listing shows town and county of birth, (unlike FMP, which only shows County). However they don't show birth date in their result listing, but they are usually listed in ascending order, so correct result can usually be quickly identified.

One advantage of this method, is that by selecting a different recordset, one can go through the other censuses without having to re-enter the search criteria ( something I find frustrating with FMP).

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby ianbee » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:42 pm

Mick Loney wrote:When I then turn to FamilySearch, who list their results in a different manner, I am often able to find the result I want.

Following Mick's advice, and looking on Family Search, could this be Charles in the 1901 census?
Appearing as Warrington instead of Worthington perhaps.

Name: Charles Warrington
Relationship to Head: Boarder
Birth Year (Estimated): 1845
Birthplace: Wednesbury, Staffordshire
Residence: Back of Nelson Street
Civil Parish: Oldbury (Worcs)
County: Staffordshire
Ecclesiastical Parish: Christ Church
Registration District: West Bromwich
Sub-District: Oldbury
Schedule: 289

piece/folio/page is 2717 / 75 / 45

It says he is married.
Isn't "Back Nelson St", Oldbury, exactly where your Worthington family was living in 1891?
Ian
ianbee

Postby C Verrill » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:56 am

Many thanks for your replies.

Ian - I too stumbled across this 1901 census the weekend for Charles and thought it may be him (just a few discrepancies that threw me!)

Mick - I will take advantage of your idea - thanks. (I don't particularly want to pay for another subscription - its bad enough paying for certificates from GRO!)
C Verrill

1901 census

Postby brunes08 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:57 pm

Re: my earlier post on this. My apologies - ianbee thank you for prodding me in the right direction. I should have said the 1871 census, not the 1881 census. I did this some years ago and didn't check before I posted. However, the situation as I described does not change. Although I know about the piece numbers for each sheet and could do that, I carried out my process to see if all the individuals in the household had been poorly transcribed so that I could feed that back to Ancestry.
brunes08

Return to General research queries