Moderator Control Panel ]

What was the cause of multiple deaths in 1892.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: What was the cause of multiple deaths in 1892.

Postby pete25 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:29 am

Hi Mick,

I'm so pleased the report I directed you to read has been very helpful.
Also, finding some of your Lawless family members in the report...I'm pleased for you.

Kind regards,

Pete.

P.S. Keep asking and we'll keep trying to help. I've had many people on here help me find valuable family history info.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby brunes08 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:44 am

It is sad that people died from Smallpox in the 1890s. Vaccination had been available and successful for most of the century but many were still unconvinced that it worked. They believed that if you had smallpox and survived, you would then be safe from further outbreaks. Many also died from Scarlet Fever at this time - several death certificates in my family demonstrate this - two infants in one week, for example.
I came across a desperately sad situation many years ago when going through some parish records at the Essex CRO. It wasn't my family, but I kept noticing the same family details cropping up, so being curious, I followed it through. In a three month period, both parents and their 11 children were all buried in the same village cemetery. This was in the 1820s. I didn't get round to finding out what they had died from but I will try sometime.
brunes08

Postby coopernicola » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:13 pm

brunes08 wrote: They believed that if you had smallpox and survived, you would then be safe from further outbreaks. .

If a person had actually had smallpox this would provide lifelong immunity. I suspect people were just not convinced that vaccination was a safe procedure.
coopernicola

Postby brunes08 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:29 pm

Thanks coopernicola. That's what I meant but didn't explain it very well - sorry.
brunes08

Postby Mick Loney » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:57 pm

I hate to contradict, but according to the above report, ones immunity after innoculation decreased over time, so one of the first precautions they took was to re-innoculate the high risk people. Whether that applied to people who had actually contracted and survived the disease I'm not sure, but reading between the lines, I would't have liked to risk it.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Mick Loney

Postby pete25 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:05 pm

If your interested there's a program on now (27th Sep) regarding smallpox. It's on BBC 4

Pete.

pete25

What was the cause of multiple deaths in 1892.

Postby Mick Loney » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:44 am

Pete,
Whoops, I missed it. Have to see if they repeat it or put it on iPlayer.
Thanks

PS Did catch it on iPlayer, and the last 10 minutes was devoted to Smallbox, and how it has been completely eradicated. In my minds eye, I thought it was a more serious form of chickenpox which I had misfortune to have as a child. How wrong can one be, though! It looked absolutely horrible, not a inch of skin left 'unspotted', including mouth and tongue.
Sometimes we don't realise how lucky we are with todays medical advances.
Mike
Mick Loney

Postby pete25 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:47 pm

So sad. And these people died in agony.

Glad you watched it Mike. Not nice viewing but a least we now have some knowledge regarding these highly deadly infections and how these wonderful dedicated medics pursued vaccines to eradicate these deadly infections.

Pete.

pete25

Previous

Return to General research queries