Moderator Control Panel ]

Adoption in the Early 1900s

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Adoption in the Early 1900s

Postby ksouthall » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:26 pm

I'm hoping someone can give me ideas of sources to trace to help me locate someone who was born in Thornton, Yorkshire, in about 1900 and subsequently adopted.

I'd rather not name the person concerned. What I'd like to know is if anyone can give me ideas of where to workhouse, foundling or poor law records for that time, if any exist? Alternatively, if anyone can think of other record sources to try, please let me know.

I've tried the birth register and church baptism records but nothing has come up.

NB There was a transcription error on one of the records I had found and I have corrected the place name to Thornton in Yorkshire. Sorry for any inconvenience. The workhouse website has been useful though.
Last edited by ksouthall on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ksouthall

Re: Adoption in Thornton Heath in Early 1900s

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:25 pm

Is this in the Croydon area? If so http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Croydon/ is the place to start for workhouse related stuff. Or anywhere in the UK, not just Croydon. Then of course(?) the other sort of records that you mention would probably be held at the county (or whatever) Record Office. Whether they exist for the place in question is another matter.

Just double checking - I assume that there is some reason for you to be looking in those sorts of records? Remember (and apologies if this is obvious) there is no such thing formally as adoption at this time, so there won't be any records of the adoption as such.

The only children in my tree to be described as adopted in the censuses (because of course, even though it didn't exist legally, it was an understood thing) turned out to be the children of the wife with her lover, who the husband had taken on, bless him. In that instance, however, in at least one of the censuses there was no change of name.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Adoption in the Early 1900s

Postby ksouthall » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks Adrian. I've checked the link and will try the records you have suggested.
Last edited by ksouthall on Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

Adoption in Thornton Heath in Early 1900s

Postby brunes08 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:51 am

Provision for legal adoption wasn't available until new legislation in 1926. From 1927 a register of adoptions was started within the General Registry. Most adoptions before this were, as mentioned above, informal arrangements within the family or with non- relatives. When checking some information I have on this issue, I saw that in some instances a deed of agreement was set out but there is no way of tracking these except on an individual basis, if you should be so lucky to find that one existed.
Re your query AdrianB38, Thornton Heath is just a couple of miles north of Croydon - courtesy of my London A-Z.
brunes08

Re: Adoption in the Early 1900s

Postby ksouthall » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:11 pm

Thanks for this, brunes08. I'll see what I can find.
ksouthall

Return to General research queries