Moderator Control Panel ]

Navy Tie, Red ZigZags, Regiment?

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Navy Tie, Red ZigZags, Regiment?

Postby Grandma Jedi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:02 pm

Trying to find our which regiment Peter was in during National Service.

Thomas Peter Newton, born 1933, photographed in Malaya in 1953, also in Gibraltar at some time.
Lived in Thornaby in North East England, did training at St. Asaph in Wales about 1950. The Green Howards left Malaya in 1952 so not that regiment.

He had a tie which was navy blue with red zig zags, thought to be a regimental tie.

Any information appreciated.

Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Re: Navy Tie, Red ZigZags, Regiment?

Postby ianbee » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:16 pm

Royal Artillery Standing Orders - Dress
Civilian Attire
The Regimental Tie. The Regimental Tie is navy blue with crimson zigzag stripes running downwards from left to right of the wearer. Serving and retired Gunners are encouraged to wear the Regimental Tie on Fridays.
ianbee

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:03 pm

I love the "on Fridays" bit! :lol:

Incidentally, I wonder if "St. Asaph" was actually Kinmel Camp? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinmel_Camp In fact, http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=517249.0 is a RootsChat thread on this topic and halfway down, there is a post with the statement that "In the 50s - 60s the camp was occupied with the Royal Artillery". Doesn't mean they were the only unit there (though they might have been).
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby Grandma Jedi » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:33 am

Thanks to AdrianB and IanB, my nephew was pleased with the news about his father and has now applied to the MOD for his service record. Would any medals have been given to men who did their National Service in Malaya?

Grandma Jedi
Grandma Jedi

Return to Military help