Moderator Control Panel ]

snding money to ireland in WW2

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

snding money to ireland in WW2

Postby maxine tallon » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:05 am

My mother-in-law went back to Dublin during WW2 and my father-in-law stayed in London. She had three children with her and rented a flat while she was there. Has anyone any idea how easy or difficult it would be to send money from London to Dublin at that time. She had no other means of support other than her husband. We've thought about postal orders but would English postal orders have been valid in an Irish post office, Ireland was a separate entity from Great Britain at the time, it was The Irish Free State and Neutral. She wouldn't have had a bank account and neither would my father-in-law, none of her family in Dublin would have been in a position to help her either.

Just one of the questions you wish you'd asked before everyone died!

thanks
maxine
maxine tallon

Re: snding money to ireland in WW2

Postby junkers » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:46 pm

It would in theory be quite difficult, especially to the Republic of Ireland. The UK had the Defence (Finance) Regulations (the forerunner to the Exchange Control Act 1947) from 1939-1946 and the Republic was seen as not being an ally of the UK and that the Republic was supporting Germany and vice versa. The UK also had censors who would look at the mail, so unless special authority was given then the chances are small.
junkers

Re: sending money to ireland in WW2

Postby maxine tallon » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:08 pm

thanks Junkers,

I thought it would be difficult so back to square one. My mother-in-law seems to have travelled to Ireland from UK at least twice during the war, she wasn't here in 1939 but returned in 1942 then left again going back to Dublin and returning in 1945, my father-in-law was here nearly all the war years only going to Dublin once in 1940, we know this because my husband was born in Dublin in 1941. My father-in-law worked for Napiers which made aircraft parts. This brings to mind another puzzle, my husband's uncle his father's brother served in the British Army and was captured in North Africa after parachuting in near Tobruk, he had his army pay sent direct to his father in Dublin even when he was a prisoner of war with all the restrictions how would that have been allowed?

thanks again
maxine
maxine tallon

Postby AdrianB38 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Unless we know the details of those Regulations, we can't say how possible or impossible it was.

It would seem quite indefensible to have someone in the British Army, captured as a PoW, and then to turn round and say that their wishes over where their pay should be sent, were not to be followed.

The mechanics of the transfer of funds between the UK and Ireland / Eire under normal circumstances would not be a problem. Immigrants had been sending money home from the USA back in the 1800s - Western Union did this sort of thing and banks would also do it. Just because they didn't have a current account at a bank in the sense that we know it, doesn't mean they couldn't go into a bank and set up a transfer. It would, presumably, need the person at the other end to go into the bank there (not necessarily the same company) and "cash"(?) the transfer - no idea of the actual mechanism myself, but it happened.

The issue is those war-time regulations. All I can find is this http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?handle=hein.journals/nilq5&div=36&id=&page= - this is guidance.

It does say "provided satisfactory information as to the source of the funds is given, little difficulty is experienced if transferring income to bona fide non-resident beneficiaries." My emphasis on the word income. Capital is a separate section. So this seems slightly more hopeful.

But there is another aspect as well - this refers to payments outside the Sterling Area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_area defines this as "a group of countries that ... pegged their currencies to the pound sterling". This is exactly what Eire did - the Punt was pegged one for one to the Pound Sterling for many years - the list of member countries shows "Ireland (Until 1971)". Since I can only see the first page of that guidance, I have no idea whether there are any restrictions inside the Sterling Area or specific to Ireland, but it seems to me that there is a good chance that transfers to Ireland were inside the Sterling Area and were not affected by those regulations.

But - huge warning - this is guesswork on my part. Without detailed knowledge of those regulations, I simply don't know - but I wouldn't dismiss the idea of transfers being perfectly possible, especially given that "little difficulty" comment.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby maxine tallon » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:09 am

thanks Adrian I'll check that website

maxine
maxine tallon

Postby junkers » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:44 pm

Maxine,
I would say that the payments would be allowed given that he was a POW and served in the British Army, and as has been pointed out Eire was at the time in the Sterling Area (until the Area's virtual demise on 23 June 1972 except for the UK and Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man) and the Regulations are in this link (see a copy at https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... 1up;seq=19).
junkers

Postby junkers » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:45 pm

I should have added that Section 3 and its sub-sections are the relevant ones in the Regulations.
junkers

Postby AdrianB38 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:00 pm

Nicely found - good for Hathi Trust....

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to General research queries