Moderator Control Panel ]

Lily May Poole, be July 1886

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Lily May Poole, be July 1886

Postby whsgoldie » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi,

In relation to the above, she was recorded as an inmate at the following address during a census record.

Cavendish home, 21 Pond Street, Hampstead, London

Has anyone come across this or could shed light on what it was for as I believe she was about 14 years old at the time.

Additionally, another census record of 1911 she is recorded as residing at 25 Stanley Street. How do I find out where Stanley Street was?

Thanks for any assistance.

Willie Goldie

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
whsgoldie

Re: Lily May Poole, be July 1886

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:53 pm

It would be helpful to know which census record you mention. Does your post title of 1886 mean that is the year she was born?
KayFarndon

Postby MoVidger » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:57 pm

Cavendish Home may have been a children's home in Hampstead.
MoVidger

Postby brunes08 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:56 pm

Cavendish Home, Pond Street, Hampstead is listed on the site www.childrenshomes.org.uk - so is as suggested in the previous post. As to your query about Stanley Street, it depends where the address indicates it is on the 1911 census. Without a little more detail of the inhabitants, I cannot find Lily on any census at the addresses you provide. However, there is a Stanley Street in South London close to New Cross Railway Station which could be relevant if she stayed in the Capital.
brunes08

Postby ianbee » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:40 pm

Possibility?
Marriage, Sep 1909 Eastbourne 2b 193
Poole, Lily May
Robinson, Charles Henry

Lily May Robinson, 25, born Wallingford, Berkshire
living with husband Charles Henry, and a daughter, at 25 Stanley Road, Eastbourne, Sussex
ianbee

Postby whsgoldie » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:28 pm

KayFarndon wrote:It would be helpful to know which census record you mention. Does your post title of 1886 mean that is the year she was born?

Kay, yes indeed that was her dob, unfortunately I never noticed the typo.

Thanks

Willie

whsgoldie

Postby whsgoldie » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:29 pm

brunes08 wrote:Cavendish Home, Pond Street, Hampstead is listed on the site http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk - so is as suggested in the previous post. As to your query about Stanley Street, it depends where the address indicates it is on the 1911 census. Without a little more detail of the inhabitants, I cannot find Lily on any census at the addresses you provide. However, there is a Stanley Street in South London close to New Cross Railway Station which could be relevant if she stayed in the Capital.

Hi,

Thanks that makes sense so is there any way I can identify why she would be in a home like this?

Thanks

Willie

whsgoldie

Postby whsgoldie » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:32 pm

ianbee wrote:Possibility?
Marriage, Sep 1909 Eastbourne 2b 193
Poole, Lily May
Robinson, Charles Henry

Lily May Robinson, 25, born Wallingford, Berkshire
living with husband Charles Henry, and a daughter, at 25 Stanley Road, Eastbourne, Sussex

Ian,

This is all the right info. The census I had only shows 25 Stanley Road. There was nothing else to suggest a town, region or birth etc. How did you Identify it was in Eastbourne as I did a check on the current maps app but couldn't see any Stanley Road in Eastbourne?

Thanks

Willie

whsgoldie

Postby ianbee » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:43 pm

A description of the home in it's first year.
Letter to The Morning Post, 23 October 1896
The Cavendish Industrial Home
To the Editor of the Morning Post. Sir, — I have been asked to draw attention to an excellent training home for girls which, having only begun work early this year, is not yet much known. It is for girls who are tiresome and unmanageable at home, or who have failed in service, or are in danger from bad surroundings or bad companions. Most people who have worked amongst the poor know only too well the girl who cannot keep her places because she knows nothing and is too wild to be taught, or the girl who, encouraged perhaps by home example, develops a perfect genius for lying, and whom it is impossible to recommend to any mistress. The Cavendish Home, 21, Pond-street, Hampstead, takes just such cases cases as these, and will receive girls who are too old for committal to the ordinary industrial school and cannot be sent to a reformatory because they have not been convicted. It receives girls from 13 to 18, and each girl must remain at least one year in the home. Laundry work is the chief occupation of the inmates, but they are also trained in ordinary domestic work so as to be fit for service. Many of them have had very little schooling, or have profited little by it, therefore elementary instruction is is regularly given, though the girls are beyond school age. The house is in perfect order, and all its arrangements are admirably adapted for the purposes of a home; there is a large garden and recreation ground, which is a great boon to the girls. The President of the Home is the Lady Georgina Vernon, Hanbury Hall, Droitwich; the Vice-President, Miss Julia Cavendish, from whom the Home takes its name. The Home is managed by a Committee, who have been fortunate in securing the services of well-trained reliable workers in each department of the institution. The Lady Superintendent has a long record of good work, and is specially fitted for her part, one which requires firmness, kindness, a real love for the girls, and a hopeful spirit. It is far easier to train quite young girls than to reform older ones who have already formed bad habits and are too often considered hopeless and only fit for the workhouse. This fact should claim the more sympathy and support for those who undertake the more discouraging part of preventive work — a part, however, which is well worth the pains bestowed upon it when it can be shown that quite two-thirds of these older girls, who are called hopeless cases, turn out well, and become respectable servants instead of being a drag upon society. There are at present 37 girls in the Home; more can be taken, but upwards of 40 applications have been refused since the opening of the Home in March, chiefly owing to lack of funds. The comparative cost of a small institution is, however, always greater, and if the numbers were larger the Home would be able, in time, to become more nearly self-supporting. The large number of applications show that the Home is really needed, and the Committee therefore appeal to the public to help them with donations and annual subscriptions. Money is specially required this first year as there is much to be done, and the cost of fitting up new laundries — an absolute necessity — has been very great. The Home may be seen any weekday, between eleven and four, and subscriptions and donations will be gladly received by Messrs. Drummond and Co., bankers Charing-cross ; by the hon. treasurer, Miss Inderwick, 8, Warwick-square; or by the resident secretary and lady superintendent Miss Scoffham, at the Home. Thanking you for the space you have so kindly given me. —
Yours, &c., Theodosia Mason.
Retford, Notts, Oct. 20.
ianbee

Postby whsgoldie » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:40 pm

Hi,

Thanks for that, that certainly clarifies the nature of the home.

Thanks for your help.

Willie

whsgoldie

Return to General research queries