Moderator Control Panel ]

Help with Canadian (Quebec) FH research

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Postby Gene-al » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:50 pm

I have just discovered, via FindaGrave, a headstone, that said an uncle (Thomas Benjamin Baker, b 29 Aug 1891 in Surrey though he says 1890!) served with the CEF in WWI in England and France. We had 'lost' him after the 1901 Census but now have his attestation and 53 page Service Record that proves him family. It seems he enlisted in March 1916 in Ottawa (why?) was demobbed there in 1919, then died in Stanstead County in 1961.

But what happened to him between demob and death? It is likely he stayed in the Stanstead, Quebec, area for all his remaining years as he had a sister who had married a Canadian soldier in UK in August 1916 who emigrated there after the end of WWI. And his future wife (as below) also came from that area.

I found a marriage record for him to a Pearl Larue (b1914) in Fitch Bay, Stanstead in 1934. He was 44 and she 21. But did he also have three children (John, Joseph and Wilfred) as family lore suggests? Pearl appears as his spouse on his death record. I could not find him on the 1921 Census that could have given me his immigration date, and although he enlisted surprisingly as RC, he apparently married as a Protestant. From a family of Ag Labs, enlistment as a Bushman into the Forestry Battalion, it is likely he may be found as a Farmer; in his demob record it is also stated that his two war medals were stolen from the 'farm's sugar house'.

I have looked at records on Ancestry with limited success and Family Search, nil. I have also received excellent mailed support from The Library and Archive Dept of Canada that pointed me towards the CEF records. Quebec FHS is a possible, but expensive, source at $75 pa + research fees with no guarantee of results. Some data appears to be available on CD's locally but not online so how to access it?...

With no UK type 'FreeBMD' can anyone here, offer help or suggest websites, or advice generally of researching family history records in Quebec?.

Specifically, I would like help with is :
* His immigration date to Canada;
* His children's BMD;
* Those children's BMD (they may still be alive and contactable?)
* His wife's (Pearl Larue) B & D;
+ An obituary for Thomas;
* Plus the best way to get copies of records.

This is my first foray outside UK, so a new experience... And steep learning curve so any help given would be greatly appreciated.
Gene-al

Re: Help with Canadian (Quebec) FH research

Postby MayHam » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:01 pm

The Quebec BMD site is BMS2000.

BAnQ (the National Library and Archives of Quebec) are also really helpful.

Your best bet will probably be to search for a will which will cost $5.00. Just google the following.
STANSTEAD COUNTY:
Wills in Stanstead County - Leslie has offered to check on a specific name within the index. If the name is found, Leslie is willing to drive to the Registry Office (about 20 miles away) and check on that Will. Please keep in mind, that THIS part of the service CANNOT be complimentary, as the Registry charges $5.00 per hour to research there. I would also expect that a small fee should be added on as well, towards gas, but that , of course, would be between you and Leslie. Let's remember though, just how valuable our volunteers are! Thank you, Leslie.
-------Leslie Nutbrown

Forest & Clearings: The History of Stanstead Co - Carolyn has offered to do lookups in this all important reference work for Stanstead County.
------ Carolyn Murphy
MayHam

Postby meekhcs » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:31 pm

Hello

The 100 year rule re birth records still applies in most parts of Canada which is why you may be having trouble trying to find the births of the children.

I have the details of an excellent researcher from Ontario should you wih to go down that route.I have used him twice, each time successfully, and his rates were very reasonable.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Sylcec » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:09 pm

I am curious as to why Thomas B Baker, b. Worplesdon Surrey, appears as a visitor with the Baker family in 1901 - was he a nephew or head of household Benjamin Baker, or a son and the enumerator made an error? Have I got the right person?

Could he have gone to Canada as part of one of the child and young person migrant schemes to learn farming?
Sylcec

Postby Gene-al » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:38 pm

[
Last edited by Gene-al on Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gene-al

Postby Gene-al » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:16 pm

Yes, you have the right Thomas Benjamin. The confusion is because he in the 1901 Census on two occasions! The one you show is with his uncle, Thomas Benjamin and Aunt Ellen where he is shown as a 'Visitor' (RG13/597) and the second with his parents, Thomas Baker and Mother Ellen, as a 'Son' (RG13/598). The term 'visitor' implies short-term stay so suggests this was just a temporary stay away from home? But who knows why? Maybe a 4-month baby in the Baker house meant a little space was needed? The families lived about a 'good hours' walk apart so feasible. But I could not find him in 1911 Census (he would have been c20 years old) that might suggest he was already in Canada which is why we need is immigration date!

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Gene-al

Postby Gene-al » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:58 pm

I have the details of an excellent researcher from Ontario should you wish to go down that route.I have used him twice, each time successfully, and his rates were very reasonable.

Thank you Sally for this offer of details of a researcher in Canada.

We all like a mystery and having that Eureka moment when the brickwall crashes down. BUT sometimes we recognise the time when we need some extra help! This is what makes this forum so invaluable.

You will probably prefer to send the details via a PM rather than in an open forum so look forward to receiving them that way! Thanks again.
Gene-al

Postby DianaCanada » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:57 am

Hi, just signed up for this site, think I can help you out a bit.
I am not completely familiar with Stanstead although I have visited there a few times and I grew up in that area of Quebec, known as the Eastern Townships. It is a beautiful part of the world, rolling hills and many maple trees that contribite to a strong maple syrup industry and gorgeous fall colours.
I had a quick look at the Drouin collection on Ancestry and found a son baptized (C of E) as Thomas John to Thomas Benjamin and Pearl (Larue). Am not sure how much info I am allowed to post here? If you do have a subscription to Anc it would certainly be worth looking at. Despite what it appears to be on Ancestry, the Drouin collection includes a lot of Protestant records.
The newspaper serving the English speaking community was the Sherbrooke Record based in Sherbrooke, Quebec. I think it is now just called The Record, but over its long history it would have likely covered your family members it some capacity. Try contacting them for an obit, simply google Sherbrooke Record.
Also google Eastern Townships family history - there are some links there that might help you.

Diana.
DianaCanada

Return to General research queries