Moderator Control Panel ]

Can anyone identify this WWI soldier's regiment

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Can anyone identify this WWI soldier's regiment

Postby Gene-al » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:19 pm

Help please in identifying this WWI soldier's regiment. Based on the 8-point cap badge, it is suggested it might be the CEF (Canadian Expeditionary Force). But what other regiments might have this type of badge?
Attachments
TBB cap badge.jpg
TBB cap badge.jpg (269.13 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
TBB in CEF.jpg
TBB in CEF.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 1016 times
Gene-al

Re: Can anyone identify this WWI soldier's regiment

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:49 pm

I don't follow the logic. Knowing nothing of CEF badges, I just Googled the topic and got a page of images the great majority of which are based on the maple leaf. Not sure how many points you'd say that the leaf had, but it's got a fundamentally flat bottom, nothing like this.

I'd be pretty certain that the photo shows a star type badge. What I can't say is that the star was never used by a CEF regiment, as while the great majority were leaves, there were some others.

Do you have any reason to suppose a CEF connection? Otherwise there are a number of British regiments with a star badge.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Can anyone identify this WWI soldier's regiment

Postby Jethro Tull » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:21 pm

Hi,
As Adrian has already mentioned there are plenty of British badges that it could be. To me however it looks "open" in the middle which narrows it down slightly. My first thought was A.S.C,
I too know very little about commonwealth badges but it did get me searching and found the following

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/canadi ... f_19_1.htm

Which certainly has the overall shape but the image is far to unclear to be certain on any.
Dan.
Jethro Tull

Return to Military help