Moderator Control Panel ]

Has anyone on here subscribed to irish roots

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Has anyone on here subscribed to irish roots

Postby stefano » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Asking has anyone on here subscribed to irish roots magazine. If so what was your experience? Any good.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
stefano

Re: Has anyone on here subscribed to irish roots

Postby tessacate » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:31 am

Hi there

Yes, I have been using them for several years and have always found them to be very good. They changed their subscription method a year or so ago and instead of having to purchase credits which expired, you can now purchase a subscription for one day, week, month, year which is much better. They are perhaps less relevant now since the Irish GRO records were made freely available online, however, I found them particularly useful most recently for Catholic records when used in conjunction with the online images of Catholic parish records now also available for free online at the Irish National Library. I would get the parish information and date from Roots Ireland indexes then look up the image on the National Library website. It worked a treat.

So in summary, I have found Roots Ireland to be very helpful and have progressed my Irish family history significantly using them. For the cost of a one day subscripton (8 Euros?) it's worth having a look for yourself to see if it's going to be worthwhile for you.

Happy hunting.
Tessacate :)
tessacate

Postby grandmabear » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:36 am

I recently paid for a one day sub from them. Cost the earth from here in new Zealand and I didn't find anything which was disappointing.
Jan
Sorry since I wrote this I had my bank statement and it wasn't so expensive as I thought but still didn't get anything from it.
Last edited by grandmabear on Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
grandmabear

Postby Irish Roots Magazine » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:41 pm

I think there is some confusion between two totally different companies. Irish Roots magazine is a genealogy and family history magazine dedicated entirely to Irish ancestral research. The only subscription facilities we offer are a one year and two year print and digital subscription - starting from €12.99. We do not offer a one day subscription. People often get us confused with a separate company 'Roots Ireland' a genealogical record research company that do offer various subscription versions including a one day subscription option. If you need any further details on our publication, please do an online search for Irish Roots magazine - I hope this clarifies any confusion on this topic.
Irish Roots Magazine

Postby MysticDave » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:34 am

I shall have to look into this as my senior great-great-granny was a Kennaway girl, travelling to South Africa on the last voyage of the Lady Kennaway in 1857, many of the girls apparently coming from "the usual sources" - I take that to be the Union Workhouses. I did look at the new Irish Govt records site, which may be of interest to others https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ although neither record seems to fit my ancestor.
MysticDave

Return to General research queries