Moderator Control Panel ]

Marriage Certificates and fathers profession

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Marriage Certificates and fathers profession

Postby Leally36 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:57 am

I am hoping someone can clarify please if a father is living or deceased on a marriage certificate if his profession is listed?
For example :-
In 1855 Henry marries Mary in Northumberland. His father's profession is listed as gas fitter, however, I had thought Henry's father died in 1849.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Leally36

Re: Marriage Certificates and fathers profession

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:01 pm

There are many instances of fathers of the bride or groom who should have been recorded as deceased but aren't. (I've always thought that finding out was a bit of a blunt question). My impression has always been the father's trade is usually answered, even if the guy is dead, and the word "deceased" appears generally under his name not in the column for trade. But that's simply my gut feeling.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby peter kent » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:07 pm

I would advise you not to draw any conclusions at all from the father's details on a marriage certificate until you find some other supporting evidence. Father's details are notoriously unreliable.
peter kent

Postby brunes08 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:26 pm

I agree with Peter. I have several marriage certificates that indicate that the fathers were deceased when they were very much alive. In each case the family had split up and the fathers had gone elsewhere. This happened with my own grandfather. He had deserted my grandmother when my father was an infant. Nothing more was heard of him by the time my parents married so was presumed dead. By chance - a saga I will not waste your time with - I discovered that he was alive until I was 10 years old. So, the point is that you must find corroborating evidence to answer your question.
brunes08

Postby Leally36 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:58 pm

Thanks all,
I have ordered Jacobs (Henry's father) death certificate and hoping I will get a little more information from it to link all the dots.

In another topic I did ask if any one knows how to locate any of the marital records from "over the border" at Lamberton Tolls. I have verbally been given the information but ideally I would love a copy

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Leally36

Return to General research queries