Moderator Control Panel ]

Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland - Hathron/Hawthorne & Kelly

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland - Hathron/Hawthorne & Kelly

Postby Leally36 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:32 am

My 3 x Great-grandmother Helen/Ellen Hawthorne was born in Maybole, Scotland about 1827. I have lots of information about her and her husband David Miller, immigration to Australia and their descendants and her unfortunate death in Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia where she was tragically killed by a horse drawn bus in 1891.

I have seen on Ancestry others have traced this family to USA but I'm confident re my research.

I have her parents listed as William Hathorn and Martha Kelly, both born in Ireland. According to my research they had 3 other children, Margaret, Andrew and James. I found evidence of the boys attending Maybole Ragged School in 1850-52. One lot of meeting minutes indicated that William had deserted the family.

An 1851 census cites a William Hawthorn living as a lodger with a David & Ellen Miller so I have assumed this is "my" Ellen's father. David & Ellen immigrated to Australia in 1863.

I have found a William Hathorn in 1861 census as a boarder in Maybole.

I have not been able to find any further information on Martha; on Martha and Williams birth, marriage or death.

Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Leally36

Re: Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland - Hathron/Hawthorne & Kelly

Postby jimbo50 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Leally36 wrote:I have her parents listed as William Hathorn and Martha Kelly, both born in Ireland. According to my research they had 3 other children, Margaret, Andrew and James. I found evidence of the boys attending Maybole Ragged School in 1850-52. One lot of meeting minutes indicated that William had deserted the family.

Hiya. Have you searched the 1851 Maybole census images page by page for Martha and children ?
I wondered where you found the meeting minutes, (I'd really like to know)
Was that for the Ragged School, or something else that would indicate religion ? Would help with Irish search.....Have you tried here ; http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
Lots of Martha Kellys though. You'd need an idea of her age from census returns.
Cheers. Jim
jimbo50

Re: Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland - Hathron/Hawthorne & Kelly

Postby Leally36 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:21 pm

Hi Jim,

I came across this site when desperately digging deep to find "anything" on the family

http://www.maybole.org/history/articles ... 0index.htm
This listed all students who attended and what years. I then search specific names and Located two entries for Hathorn boys between 1850-51 which gave me the information that there father deserted them.

It's specific to Maybole Ragged School but I am sure others would have minutes. I haven't been able to find anything in the parish records as yet to see if the local church funded them or if any other information I'm still looking for further evidence for the boys. I will look at the Irish records again as maybe the younger children went back to Ireland with their mother.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
Leally36

Return to General research queries