Moderator Control Panel ]

DIVER occupation in Thames

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

DIVER occupation in Thames

Postby Sylcec » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:34 am

Someone told me a few days ago that her ancestor was a Diver who cleaned the hulls of boats in the River Thames and died of the bends in the 1920s. Sorry - can't remember the name. However, I am at a loss of where to find information about people doing that in past times. I've tried Thames Watermen and Lightermen, but doesn't seem to fit in with them. My google searches have been ineffective. Any ideas?
Sylcec

Re: DIVER occupation in Thames

Postby jimbo50 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:05 am

Hiya. I thought that you needed a fair depth of water to get the pressure to cause the bends. Victoria Dock Greenwich was dredged only 9.5 metres deep, but try londondivingchamber.co.uk Jim
jimbo50

Postby peter kent » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:03 am

If it was the 1920s, there should be a death certificate. Get a copy and find out the cause of death.
peter kent

Postby Editor » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:45 pm

Try these people: http://www.thehds.com/
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Sylcec » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:44 pm

Many, many thanks Claire or Sarah - that is a really helpful link. I will pass it on to the person who first enquired. Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Editor » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:58 am

Hi Sylvia, it's Sarah here back from sick leave. My uncle used to be a diver and knows the people who set up the historical diving society. I've been aware of their existence pretty much since they launched but hadn't visited their website for a while so it was nice popping back and seeing how impressive it now is! Did you see the Sarah Millican episode of WDYTYA? That had an interesting diving element. I'm not sure what you get to see in Australia.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Sylcec » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:39 pm

Yes - I do remember the Sarah Millican episode - we were discussing it at SAG (Society of Australian Genealogists) last Tuesday. Unfortunately the lady who first raised this question hasn't been back - or at least, not on a Tuesday when I am there. Will report back if she comes back again!
Pleased to know you are now recovered and back on deck. Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Mariner Aus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:17 am

Hi Sylec

One tip I have from my research looking up my own diver ancestor, is to search through crewlists of vessels. Some show divers working on salvage vessels throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.

The HDS is also a fantastic source of information.

Regards

Pieter
Mariner Aus

Return to General research queries