Moderator Control Panel ]

1960's adoptions

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

1960's adoptions

Postby rainbowchimp » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:19 am

how can i find out about a suspected adoption from the 60's. ? now i cant ask the person is suspect had their child taken away be cause (1) its going to bring back painful memories and (2) if im wrong im going to make a right fool of my self
i have asked this question on family history FB pages but have only been told about sites/places where i have to pay between £30-60 which is a lot of money

so to my question does any one know if this records exsist on any of the family history research sites like ancestry or FMP for example and where would i look
thanks in advance for your help
rainbowchimp

Re: 1960's adoptions

Postby ksouthall » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:25 am

Sorry, I can't read all you post because the chimp picture is too big and is covering the left hand side. Please could you make the picture smaller as this will happen every time you post something?
ksouthall

Postby jimbo50 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:33 am

rainbowchimp wrote:how can i find out about a suspected adoption from the 60's. ? now i cant ask the person is suspect had their child taken away be cause (1) its going to bring back painful memories and (2) if im wrong im going to make a right fool of my self
i have asked this question on family history FB pages but have only been told about sites/places where i have to pay between £30-60 which is a lot of money

so to my question does any one know if this records exsist on any of the family history research sites like ancestry or FMP for example and where would i look
jimbo50

Postby jimbo50 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:40 am

Hiya. Going from memory , I think the information is only available to the adopted child on application for their adoption records. The birth parent can register a wish to meet on their file. Maybe also a close relative. Then they've got to wait for the adopted child to make contact through the adoption agency.
jimbo50

1960's adoptions

Postby brunes08 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:18 am

For the very reason you mention - painful memories/privacy etc - adoption records are not freely available to anyone. I do not know how closely related you are to the person in question or why you want this information but it is an area that should be approached very carefully. When I was a student, a young woman in my year had to leave because she was to have a child which was subsequently adopted. I bumped into her and her husband completely by chance some twenty years later at a social function. If you could have seen the look of sheer panic on her face because she obviously feared I would say something, you would realise that what you are seeking may not be the best thing for all concerned. Of course I never divulged the information - it was hers to tell if she wished. If you wish to proceed though, you should check the Government website for information which gives guidelines.
brunes08

Postby ksouthall » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:16 pm

jimbo50 wrote:
rainbowchimp wrote:how can i find out about a suspected adoption from the 60's. ? now i cant ask the person is suspect had their child taken away be cause (1) its going to bring back painful memories and (2) if im wrong im going to make a right fool of my self

Thanks Jimbo50.

The other posters are right. It tends to be up to the adopted child whether or not they want to trace their birth family. There is the programme "Long Lost Family" with Davina McCall and Nicky Campbell which you could watch to get some ideas. If you were to do this, I think the way to approach it is to send a letter to the adoption agency explaining your relationship and who you are trying to trace. They could then pass it on to the person in question but it would be their choice whether or not they contact you. If they chose not to, you would probably have to let it drop. They would be most likely to want to contact you if you are a fairly close relation; e.g. sibling, parent, grandparent.

I'm not sure if this helps or what other people think about this. Basically, you don't have a right to upset someone's new life just because you are curious about them. They have to want to trace their birth family.
ksouthall

Postby carobradford » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:45 pm

I wholeheartedly echo the very sound advice offered about the need to tread very carefully. A couple of practical points, however:

Following a change in the law in 2014, "prescribed relatives" of an adopted person may apply to a registered intermediary with a view to establishing contact with that adopted person (or their blood relatives if the adopted person is deceased). The registered intermediary may be a local authority or a private agency. Providing such services is time-consuming and delicate work and one cannot expect it to be cheap, let alone free. The intermediary will need to assure themselves that there is a genuine desire to establish contact, not simply to satisfy curiosity.

Although I am not suggesting that the OP should follow this route, it should be noted that it can sometimes be possible to establish, through normal genealogical methods, whether a baby was born to a woman and if it was subsequently adopted. If the rough date and place of birth are known and if (and this is the big IF) the mother's surname is distinctive, an entry in the GRO birth index where the mother's maiden name matches the child's surname might be identifiable. The birth certificate will show if the baby was subsequently adopted though not, of course, any details of that adoption.
carobradford

Postby ksouthall » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:54 pm

That's interesting Carol. I didn't realise the rules had changed. That explains how some relatives seem to have approached the TV programme to trace their adopted relative.

There's a useful link here about how to go about the process:-

http://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk ... people.pdf

However, the original posters needs to be aware that the adopted person can veto any information about them being released and any contact being made.
ksouthall

Postby peter kent » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:19 am

Can't understand which circumstance you're asking about.

If you know the adoptive name or current name of a person who may have been adopted, you can look up the person in the adoption index and order an adoption certificate.

If you know the birth name of someone who may have later been adopted, you can look up the name in the GRO index. There may be a clue in the index (particularly a marginal note ending in /S although this can imply other things apart from adoption) and you can order the birth certificate. If the child was adopted, the birth certificate will state "adopted". It won't of course show the adoptive name!

PS I've re-read the question and I think it's the second of the above scenarios that you're interested in. So the approach is straightforward. Is there a marginal note in the GRO index? Have you got a copy of the birth certificate?
peter kent

Postby rainbowchimp » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:59 pm

The reason I ask is I had to sign for a letter a,few years ago cos the addresse was in the shower they asked me to read it to them as their hair was wet when they got out, I'm not sure if the addressee was the parent or the letter writer was writing to various people with the same name iin the hope of getting the right one or not, but the the adressee did seem upset, after that I had to leave for work and when I got back that evening the subject wasn't mentioned and hasn't been since,.... If true it would make the person an older sibling to me
rainbowchimp

Next

Return to General research queries