Moderator Control Panel ]

Seeking papermaker ancestor

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Seeking papermaker ancestor

Postby Meg 78 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:36 pm

After over 40 years as a successful researcher I have been stuck with one frustrating problem for the same length of time.

details:Edward GREEN papermaker died Weston Rhyn Shropshire sept. 1797 (I have will)
Known facts: two daughters bap 1772 and 1774 at WARDEN MILL Northumberland where Edward was papermaker. Had sister Ann Green who married surname OLIVER.

Seeking: p.o.b. / bp/ parents. Will mentioned wife Eleanor but don't know her maiden name so can't find marriage, also was this a first or later wife?

Found a possible lead, but only a hypothesis at moment.
Details: John Green paper maker of Crofton Hackett Worcestershier apprenticed his son William GREEN to John COLE Tailor of Upton Warren Worcestershire indenture May 1716. A s this is my first credible encounter with a paper maker link I wonder if my Edward may be a grandson of John GREEN paper maker through his son William GREEN.

found a bap of an Edward to a William GREEN and Mary, Bromsgrove 10th May 1750 and also a marriage of an Edward GREEN to Ann SPENCER 27 Jan 1772 at Lee (with Bransford? Worces. Interestingly one of the witnesses was a john COLE (Grandson of the Tailor?) and possibly a relative?

As Edwards first dau was bp May 1772 in Northumberland papermill I am hoping that I might have struck lucky and that ANN might have been a first wife. Paper making was a peripatetic trade so a move from Worcs. to Northumberland would be feasible. PLEASE can anybody help?? or am I deluding myself. thank you Meg
Meg 78

Re: Seeking papermaker ancestor

Postby ciderdrinker » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:23 am

Hello
I'm afraid I haven't got much but here's what I can find
Burial at Weston Ryhn Eleanor Green Ifor Heath age 57 19.7.1814
marriage Tamar 6.1.1795 to Thomas Duckett wit Edward Green and Esther Chink?

Marriage Esther to Robert Caink at Oswestry 22.9.1791 witnesses Tamar and Edward and G Caink.

Marriage Anne Green to a Cuthbert Oliver 5.1.1779 at Haltwhistle
Children at Weston Ryhn to Edward and Eliner
Eliner 5.1.1785,Samuel 19.11.1786,Edward 14.9.1788 ,Eliner 10.8.1791 and Anne 17.8.1794 from Rock
also a Edward s of Edward and Elizabeth 20.4.1778.

Doesn't seem to be burials for Weston before 1800.
Warden Mill was run by William Charnley in 1763.
There is a paper makers historian society here which may be worth a look.
http://baph.org.uk/reference/papermakersindex.html

Ciderdrinker
ciderdrinker

Return to General research queries