Moderator Control Panel ]

Gmelin Tate

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Gmelin Tate

Postby Skyeblu » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:54 pm

Gmelin Tate is said to have been born in Guyzance Northumberland in most censuses ( though in 1861 it says Bellingham). He is recorded in 1841 as living in Woodbine Street Bishopweamouth as a shoemaker and on 1st July 1844 he married Mary Ann Whittle at Monkwearmouth. On the marriage certificate his father is said to be William Tate, carpenter and weaver. From then on there is extensive documentation which has led me to online meetings with cousins in England and USA. None of us can trace Gmelin's birth and so cannot trace our ancestry beyond our second great grandfather. I paid for some research but the result wasn't strong. I thought the name Gmelin would make life easy but no. Any suggestions please
Skyeblu

Re: Gmelin Tate

Postby brunes08 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:33 am

I have had a hunt around. I do not know if you are the same person or connected to others who have posted on other sites I came across. Just in case you are not, these are a few things I found, Gmelin is a German surname. On one site a Gmelin F Tate came up connected to the 1WW and was connected to Northumberland. Try as I may, I couldn't find a baptism for your Gmelin. I always find it useful to hunt around as many sites as I can regarding the person and the names concerned. I have a friend with Tait/Tate ancestry in Northumberland. She has found the name spelled in several ways. You just have to keep following every avenue, however tenuous the link. I'll mention your issue just in case she has come across anything of help.
brunes08

Postby jimbo50 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:48 am

In 1841 there is a William Tate, 28, Joiner, living in Dunse Berwickshire. Could this be brother to Gmelin ? Try following this line, maybe.
jimbo50

Postby Skyeblu » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:00 pm

Thanks for these couple of ideas. It is the first time I have posted though I have links in Ancestry who are also looking. The name is spelled in a few ways but Gmelin is the one which goes through the next two generations. The main family seems to be in Sunderland from 1841 onwards though the wife of William whoever she is might explain why Gmelin was born in Guyzance or thereabouts. Interestingly he only calls his last child Gmelin which I think is a bit unusual.
Skyeblu

Return to General research queries