Moderator Control Panel ]

Can I identify a parent not on birth certificate?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Can I identify a parent not on birth certificate?

Postby whsgoldie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi,

Can someone please tell me if there is any other way of identifying a father who was not recorded on a birth certificate?

We have just identified my wife's gran - Edith May Mitchell bn. 26.11.1904 only has her mother, also Edith Mitchell recorded on her birth certificate.

Don't know if it helps, but the family are from the Galashiels are of the Scottish Borders.

Thanks

Willie

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
whsgoldie

Re: Can I identify a parent not on birth certificate?

Postby Jeannie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:41 pm

I will tell you my expreience and I hope you will be as lucky.

My husband's great grandfather was born illigitimate in 1861 Elgin Scotland. Only the mother's name was on his birth certificate.
Then I got both his marriage certificates which were little gems.
The first marriage gives his father's name and also says (reputed father) and gives the father's occupation
The second marriage also gives the father's name and occupation and says he's now deceased.
It also gives the name and occupation of his stepfather and the fact he is also deceased.

It just shows that his father's name was an open secret and you just have to hope that it somewhere get's recorded.

I hope you will be as lucky
Jeannie

Postby notabilis » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:07 pm

My experience was a good one, even though the family knew who the father was of my aunt's daughter her name was Rita Mary Braybrooks Blows and her birth certificate confirmed that she had her father's name within her own name as a middle name, because the father William Braybrooks denied her being his. Hope you manage to crack your problem.
notabilis

Postby subo4557 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi,
Was the child baptised? Many a time the vicar will annotate the register with the fathers name.
Secondly did she have any siblings? Many times the first child was born out of wedlock but subsequent children were not with all children sharing the same father.
subo4557

Postby whsgoldie » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:47 pm

subo4557 wrote:Hi,
Was the child baptised? Many a time the vicar will annotate the register with the fathers name.
Secondly did she have any siblings? Many times the first child was born out of wedlock but subsequent children were not with all children sharing the same father.
hi,

whsgoldie

Postby whsgoldie » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:53 pm

whsgoldie wrote:
subo4557 wrote:Hi,
hi,

Hi,

I have nothing further. All docs including marriage, birth etc have nothing showing the father so it looks as though I might never be able to identify him.

The father was born in England and at the time the family were there as they were a predominantly military family.

Thanks for your assistance anyway.

whsgoldie

Postby woolybully » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:34 am

Hi, have you tried the 1911 census? It may be that the father is not on the birth certificate simply because the parents were not married, in which case the family may be found together in 1911. Alternatively, as already proposed, I think I'd seek a baptism record (the actual book if possible rather than a transcription. That way you can see if there are any marginal notes or other hints which a transcription would omit).

A second idea... have you searched military records for mention on the mothers' name? Military records, when our luck is in, can have details of marriages and the births of children. However, if the father is not claiming the child there may be no mention... it's an idea, not a solution! Good luck
woolybully

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:33 am

After the usual double check on baptisms, etc., the method that usually gets used is to look for bastardy proceedings. This works on television programmes like WDYTYA? However, in real life, it may not be so easy. To put it in modern terms, you are looking for proceedings that fix a payment by the father for child support.

The legislation that drives all this is, I think, part of the Poor Law, and the documentation often held in the Quarter Sessions records for the county in question. There is no central child support agency in this era!

I know very little about the practicalities of this. It works on the television for the simple reason that you only see the dramatic cases that succeed, never the ones that found nothing! Each county will be different in what survives and where. I am also unclear what happens if the mother doesn't wish to claim support from the father. This seems to be about the only way forward for you now.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby whsgoldie » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:46 pm

Thanks again for your help. The 1911 census doesn't
supply anything and I have still to begin checking military backgrounds.

whsgoldie

Postby ksouthall » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:11 pm

There may be a mention in local newspapers. I discovered the names of a couple of putative fathers that way. It's a long shot, but you never know...
ksouthall

Next

Return to General research queries